P.108A serie 2
|This page is about the Italian attacker P.108A serie 2. For the bombers, see P.108B serie 1 and P.108B serie 2.|
The P.108A serie 2 is a rank III Italian attacker with a battle rating of 3.7 (AB), 3.3 (RB), and 3.0 (SB). It was introduced in Update 1.69 "Regia Aeronautica". It features a 102 mm cannon in its fuselage, one of the largest armament placed onto an aircraft.
The P.108A serie 2 is your normal P.108, but with a 102 mm anti-shipping gun containing 50 rounds. In saying that, you're basically an over-sized Hs 129 or PBJ-1H. The main reason for not seeing the aircraft on Air AB, RB or even Sim is due to the fact the plane is demanding on takeoff due to its low horsepower engines and will not take off if combat flaps or take-off flaps are down (if you don't, it's going to be quite hard to take off). The defensive weaponry is decent for its battle rating but will not survive if it get uptiered to 4.3.
Describe how the aircraft behaves in the air. Speed, manoeuvrability, acceleration and allowable loads - these are the most important characteristics of the vehicle.
|Characteristics|| Max Speed
(km/h at 3,049 m)
| Max altitude
| Turn time
| Rate of climb
| Take-off run|
|Combat flaps||Take-off flaps||Landing flaps||Air brakes||Arrestor gear|
|Wings (km/h)||Gear (km/h)||Flaps (km/h)||Max Static G|
Survivability and armour
- 8 mm Steel - Cockpit armour - instrument panel, pilot's seat, co-pilot's seat and floor plate below pilot
- 8 mm Steel - Armour plate protecting ammo located in wings
- 8 mm Steel - Side gunner armoured walls
- 8 mm Steel - Ventral gunner position
- Fuel tanks located in wings
The P.108A serie 2 is armed with:
- 1 x 102 mm 102/35 mod 14 cannon, nose-mounted (50 rpg)
The P.108A serie 2 is defended by:
- 2 x 12.7 mm Breda-SAFAT machine gun, 2 x wing turret (300 rpg = 1,200 total)
- 1 x 12.7 mm Breda-SAFAT machine gun, ventral turret (450 rpg)
- 1 x 7.7 mm Breda-SAFAT machine gun, 2 x beam turret (400 rpg = 800 total)
Usage in battles
The Piaggio P.108A Serie 2 is a 4 engine attacker. Despite being an attacker, the 102 mm cannon is relatively inaccurate which means the targets that suit this plane the best are usually stationary targets that the 102 mm cannon can penetrate and destroy. The plane's defensive firepower is relatively poor and you should try to avoid enemy planes as much as possible. If an enemy plane is lining up to attack you from the front, try to swing your plane and give him the tail of the plane so your gunners can shoot back at the enemy aircraft.
Stay low and do not go above 1,900 m. Speed is key: try to maintain a speed of close to 200 km/h as that gives you wiggle room as your stall speed is 155 km/h despite the massive weight.
Manual Engine Control
Auto control available
Not auto controlled
Not auto controlled
|Separate|| Not controllable
|I||Fuselage repair||Radiator||Turret 7 mm|
|II||Compressor||Airframe||New 7 mm MGs (turret)||Offensive 102 mm|
|III||Wings repair||Engine||Turret 12 mm|
|IV||Engine injection||Cover||New 12 mm MGs (turret)||New 102 mm cannons|
- The first tier modifications to be unlocked should be Radiator and Fuselage repair, then Turret 7 mm. This is so you can improve the poor performance of the plane. The belts should be last as no matter what the defensive firepower of the plane with or with out the belts would still remain poor.
- The second tier upgrades should start with the Airframe so your plane is a bit more durable. Then get the New 7 mm MGs (turret) and Offensive 102 mm for increase in firepower and defensive armament. Finally go get the Compressor.
- The Third tier modifications should start off with the Engine, then unlock the Wings repair. Last of all unlock the Turret 12.7 mm.
- The fourth tier modification should start off with the New 12.7 mm MGs (turret) then Cover. And your last two modification should be Engine Injection and New 102 mm Cannons.
Pros and cons
- 102 mm cannon can prove devastating on a direct hit
- Large amount of ammo for the cannon
- 2 turrets are placed on the distant engines allowing for more guns to face backwards
- Low accuracy cannon and sluggish airframe make lining up shots very difficult
- Gunners are bunched together and easily knocked out
- Turrets on the engines cannot face forwards
- Relatively Weak Defensive armament
- Head on attacks are usually fatal for this plane
- Massive target
- Prone to fuel tank fire due to tremendous fuel load
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the aircraft in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the vehicle and adding a block "/History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Vehicle-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref></ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article with
<references />. This section may also include the vehicle's dev blog entry (if applicable) and the in-game encyclopedia description (under
=== In-game description ===, also if applicable).
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the series of the aircraft;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- encyclopedia page on the aircraft;
- other literature.
|Attackers||P.108A serie 2|
|Bombers||P.108B serie 1 · P.108B serie 2|