The Object 120 "Taran" is a gift rank V Soviet tank destroyer with a battle rating of 7.3 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced late in Update 1.71 "New E.R.A.".
Survivability and armour
- Rolled homogeneous armour (hull, turret bustle)
- Cast homogeneous armour (turret front, gun mantlet)
|Armour||Front (Slope angle)||Sides||Rear||Roof|
|Hull|| 30 mm (31-86°) Front glacis
30 mm (17-50°) Lower glacis
|15 mm|| 10 mm (15-80°) Top
10 mm (5°) Bottom
| 30 mm (86°) Front |
10 mm Rear
|Turret|| 30 mm (1-68°) Turret front
30 mm (0-58°) Gun mantlet
|15-30 mm (0-51°)||15 mm (14-21°)|| 30 mm Front |
10 mm Rear
|Cupola||15 mm (cylindrical)||15 mm|
- Suspension wheels are 20 mm thick while tracks are 15 mm thick.
- Belly armour is 10 mm thick.
- Barrel ring around the gun is 100 mm thick.
- Structural steel boxes on hull sides provide 4 mm of protection.
|Game Mode||Max Speed (km/h)||Weight (tons)||Engine power (horsepower)||Power-to-weight ratio (hp/ton)|
Modifications and economy
|152 mm M-69||Turret rotation speed (°/s)||Reloading rate (seconds)|
The Object 120 is armed with three types of shells. The first is an APFSDS round that is capable of going through almost all the armour of most vehicles it can face. It also has an extremely low shell drop, giving almost flat ballistics, which makes it one of the best kinetic rounds at its battle rating. The second round is a HEATFS shell, which has a high penetration and holds a huge amount of explosive. It is slower and has a more standard shell drop. The HEATFS is a high-penetrating chemical round against thick conventional armour. The third is an HE shell with a huge amount of explosive. It is effective to destroy lightly armoured vehicles with overpressure.
|Ammunition|| Type of
|Penetration @ 0° Angle of Attack (mm)|
|10 m||100 m||500 m||1,000 m||1,500 m||2,000 m|
|152 mm HEAT-FS||HEATFS||480||480||480||480||480||480|
|152 mm HE||HE||49||49||49||49||49||49|
|152 mm APDS-FS||APFSDS||405||400||385||370||355||340|
|Ammunition|| Type of
| Fuse delay
| Fuse sensitivity
| Explosive Mass
(TNT equivalent) (g)
|152 mm HEAT-FS||HEATFS||1,000||35.0||0.0||0.1||5,850||65°||72°||75°|
|152 mm HE||HE||960||43.5||0.1||0.5||5,900||79°||80°||81°|
|152 mm APDS-FS||APFSDS||1,710||8.0||N/A||N/A||N/A||76°||78°||80°|
| 1 (+21)
- The Object 120 uses two-piece ammunition, composed of projectiles (yellow) and propellant bags (orange). Both have separate racks.
- The visual discrepancy concerns the projectile rack: only 16 shells are modeled but it contains 22 shells.
- Shells are modeled individually and disappear after having been shot or loaded.
Usage in battles
The Object 120 performs best in all game modes as a sniper/support. This means finding a good spot overlooking the battle with some cover, and taking out enemies from long range. The Object 120's long 152 mm gun and its powerful shells are well suited for this purpose.
The Object 120 can be used at a close-range battle, but it will not be able to perform as effectively due to its relatively long 10-second reload time and a lack of gun stabilizer. These two lacking features mean that the Object 120 cannot react to new threats quickly, especially when it tries to take the battle offensively. It is thus better to fight at range, where the Object's advantages can be used to the fullest.
Pros and cons
- Very high velocity APFSDS round means "point and shoot" at typical War Thunder combat ranges, no need to account for projectile drop at range
- Outstanding armour penetration by HEAT-FS and APFSDS rounds
- Very good spalling effect from the kinetic energy spread and explosive mass from HEAT-FS round
- Good mobility for the size of gun
- Has neutral steering
- Weak armour: vulnerable to anything bigger than a heavy machine gun, and even those from some angles at short range
- Poor depression for main armament
- Low ammunition load
- Poor optics for a tank destroyer with only 5x zoom
- All projectiles carried in rear of turret behind thin armour makes ammunition explosions very likely from turret hits
The Object 120 "Taran" was a tank destroyer developed after the USSR's conclusion that AP rounds from the T-10 and T-55 could not pierce the newest American tank the M60. The Object 120 (also noted as being the SU-152 "Taran") surpassed foreign tank destroyers with firepower and mobility at the time. The name Taran comes from its cannon which became the reason it wasn't adopted. The 125 smoothbore and anti tank missiles are the reason why the Object 120 was not put into production.
- Vehicles equipped with the same chassis
|USSR tank destroyers|
|SU-76M||SU-76M · SU-76M (5th Gv.Kav.Corps) · SU-85A|
|SU-57B||SU-57B · SU-76D|
|T-34 Derivatives||SU-122 · SU-85 · SU-85M · SU-100 · SU-122P|
|Heavy Tank Derivatives||SU-100Y · ISU-122 · ISU-122S · SU-152 · ISU-152 · Object 268|
|SU-100P and Derivatives||SU-100P · Object 120|
|Airborne||ASU-57 · ASU-85|
|Rocket||BM-8-24 · BM-13N|
|ATGM||IT-1 · Shturm-S · Khrizantema-S|
|Other||SU-5-1 · ZiS-30 · SU-122-54|
|USSR premium ground vehicles|
|Light tanks||BA-11 · RBT-5 · BT-7A (F-32) · T-26 (1st Gv.T.Br.) · T-26E · T-126|
|Medium tanks||T-34 (Prototype) · T-34 (1st Gv.T.Br.) · T-34E · T-34-57 (1943) · T-34-85E · T-34-100 · T-44-122 · T-55AM-1 · T-72AV (TURMS-T)|
|▂M3 Medium · ▂M4A2 · ▂T-III · ▂T-V · ▂МК-IX "Valentine"|
|Heavy tanks||SMK · T-35 · ▂MK-II "Matilda" · KV-1E · KV-2 (1940) · KV-2 (ZiS-6) · KV-122 · KV-220 · IS-2 "Revenge" · IS-6 · T-10A|
|Tank destroyers||BM-13N · BM-8-24 · SU-57 · SU-76D · SU-76M (5th Gv.Kav.Corps) · SU-85A · SU-100Y · SU-122P · Object 120|
|SPAA||▂Phòng không T-34 · ZUT-37|