The Ka-29 is a rank VI Soviet attack helicopter with a battle rating of 9.7 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced in Update 1.97 "Viking Fury".
Describe how the helicopter behaves in the air. Speed, manoeuvrability, acceleration and allowable loads - these are the most important characteristics of the vehicle.
|Characteristics|| Max Speed
(km/h at 1,000 m)
| Max altitude|
Survivability and armour
Examine the survivability of the helicopter. Note how vulnerable the structure is and how secure the pilot is, whether the fuel tanks are armoured, etc. Describe the armour, if there is any, and also mention the vulnerability of other critical systems.
Modifications and economy
|CCIP (Guns)||CCIP (Rockets)||CCIP (Bombs)|
The Ka-29 is armed with:
- A choice between two presets:
- 1 x 7.62 mm GShG-7.62 machine gun (2,000 rpg)
- 1 x 30 mm 2A42 cannon (200 rpg) + 1 x 7.62 mm GShG-7.62 machine gun (2,000 rpg)
(ammunition: 1 000 rounds)
(ammunition: 500 rounds)
The Ka-29 can be outfitted with the following ordnance:
- Without load
- 80 x S-8KO rockets
- 4 x 23 mm GSh-23L cannons (250 rpg = 1,000 total)
- 8 x 9M114 Shturm missiles
- 2 x 23 mm GSh-23L cannons (250 rpg = 500 total) + 40 x S-8KO rockets
- 8 x 9M114 Shturm missiles + 40 x S-8KO rockets
Usage in battles
Describe the tactics of playing in a helicopter, the features of using the helicopter in a team and advice on tactics. Refrain from creating a "guide" - do not impose a single point of view, but instead, give the reader food for thought. Examine the most dangerous enemies and give recommendations on fighting them. If necessary, note the specifics of the game in different modes (AB, RB, SB).
Pros and cons
- Surprisingly nimble for its tubby looks
- Small profile
- Can use the lethal 9M114 Shturm ATGMs alongside rockets and gunpods for use against ground targets
- Minigun is rifle-calibre, useless against heavy armour
- No air-to-air missiles, vulnerable versus other aircraft and helicopters
- Lacks thermal vision, can only use basic infrared image intensifiers
- Low ammo count for cannons, can run out of ammo very quickly
Development of the Ka-29 began in 1973, after engineers at the Kamov Design Bureau decided to create an attack transport variant of the Ka-27, which itself had successfully undertaken its maiden flight that year. Initially, the machine was to be designated Ka-252TB, but was later changed to Ka-29. The Ka-29 was intended to support amphibious naval operations by providing fire support for advancing troops.
After some development work, the prototype of the Ka-29 was ready for testing and conducted its maiden flight in July 1976. Testing was successfully completed by 1979, with the Ka-29 entering mass production in 1984. Shortly after, the Ka-29 entered service with the Soviet Navy in 1985, serving aboard the newly commissioned Ivan Rogov-class landing ships.
Production of the Ka-29 lasted until 1988, with about 60 units of the type being built. This helicopter saw combat in Chechnya in 2000-2001, few units served in police special operations branches. The Ka-29 is still in service with the Russian and foreign navies, more than three decades after its initial introduction to service.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the series of the helicopter;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
|Kamov Design Bureau|
|Kamov||Ka-29 · Ka-50 · Ka-52|
|Mil||Mi-4AV · Mi-24A · ▂Mi-24D · Mi-24P · Mi-24V · Mi-28N · Mi-35M|