The Infanterikanonvagn 73 (shortened Ikv 73) is a premium gift rank II Swedish medium tank with a battle rating of 2.7 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced during Update "Starfighters" as a reward for the 2020 Operation S.U.M.M.E.R. event.
Survivability and armour
Armour protection on the Ikv 73 is average for its tier. While it is 55 mm thick, it is practically vertical. Angling your armour will not help, as the sides are only 30 mm in thickness. The turret armour is pretty much identical to that of the hull. The crew is very tightly packed, so a penetrating shot to the turret or hull is a guaranteed destruction.
Although the best course of action in an Ikv 73 is to remain undetected, there will be times when taking a hit or two will be inevitable. In such a scenario, angle slightly towards the enemy with your front right corner (the one opposite the driver) and try to bait a shot to your right turret cheek (the one with the coaxial MGs). Early HEAT and HE projectiles, as well as the spalling from weaker APHE and Soviet shrapnel rounds, will likely be absorbed by the machine guns. Solid shot will be almost guaranteed to penetrate, but will only knock out the commander and machine gunner. Most shots to the rear engine deck will likely bounce due to the extreme sloping.
- Rolled Homogeneous Armour (hull, turret, cupola)
|Armour||Front (Slope angle)||Sides||Rear||Roof|
|Hull|| 55 mm (23-28°) Upper Plate
10-30 mm (55-80°) Upper Glacis
55 mm (cylindrical) Transmission housing
55 mm (59°) Lower Glacis
| 30 mm (30°) Top - Front
25 mm (31°) Top - Rear
30 mm Bottom
| 25 mm (14°) + 15 mm (19°) Upper plate
20 mm (29°) Lower plate
| 10-30 mm (20-27°) Front glacis |
9 mm Crew and engine compartment
5 mm Engine vents
|Turret|| 55 mm (cylindrical) Turret front
55 mm (cylindrical) Gun mantlet
| 30 mm (0-30°) Front
25 mm (15°) Rear
|25 mm (cylindrical)|| 20 mm Front |
10 mm Rear
|Cupola|| 55 mm (13°) Viewport
25 mm (73°) Breech bulge
| 25 mm (13-15°) Left
25 mm (15°) Right Rear
30 mm (16°) Right Front
|25 mm (15°)|| 9 mm |
25 mm (17°) Breech bulge
- Suspension wheels, tracks and torsion bars are 15 mm thick.
- Turret ring: 53 mm
- MG Port appliqué armour: 20 mm
|Game Mode||Max Speed (km/h)||Weight (tons)||Engine power (horsepower)||Power-to-weight ratio (hp/ton)|
Mobility of the Ikv 73 is good; about the same as that of the Shermans or earlier Panzers. The tank swiftly accelerates to its top speed of 42 km/h (26 mph), and stops just as easily (though the tank tends to "drift" slightly when stopping mid-turn). The tank reverses at 5 km/h. The suspension damping allows for firing immediately after coming to a stop from full speed, though it is not powerful enough to allow for accurate fire while on the move. The Ikv 73 lacks neutral steering, but still turns about as quickly as its contemporaries.
Modifications and economy
|75 mm kan m/41||Turret rotation speed (°/s)||Reloading rate (seconds)|
|Ammunition|| Type of
|Penetration @ 0° Angle of Attack (mm)|
|10 m||100 m||500 m||1,000 m||1,500 m||2,000 m|
|Ammunition|| Type of
| Fuse delay
| Fuse sensitivity
| Explosive Mass
(TNT equivalent) (g)
|Smoke shell characteristics|
| Screen radius
| Screen deploy time
| Screen hold time
| Explosive Mass|
(TNT equivalent) (g)
|59||50 (+9)||48 (+11)||36 (+23)||28 (+31)||16 (+43)||4 (+55)||1 (+58)||No|
- To go into battle with the turret empty of ammo, pack 48 (+11) shells (Racks 1 and 2 emptied).
- To go into battle with the turret and the front hull empty of ammo, pack 28 (+31) shells (Racks 1 to 4 emptied).
|8 mm ksp m/36|
|Mount||Capacity (Belt)||Fire rate||Vertical||Horizontal|
Usage in battles
Ikv 73 has a similar playstyle as the Strv m/42 EH except the hull machine gun has been replaced with a pintle machine gun on the turret, giving it a better chance to fend off aircraft and defend against open-top vehicles like the ZiS-30 and CCKW 353 AA.
Ikv 73 shares the same Kan m/41 as the Strv m/42, so it shares the same performance where it's decent enough at its own battle rating, but will struggle in uptiers. The gun will struggle against T-34, M4 Sherman and heavier tanks like KV-1 in direct confrontation where it lacks penetration against the sloped and angled armour.
The armour of Ikv 73 is better than that of Lago I and similar to the Strv m/42 EH, giving it better survivability than the Lago I. The change of the Ikv 73 compared to the Strv m/42 EH, where the hull machine gun was replaced with more armour, gives the hull slightly better survivability against smaller guns than, for example, M4s, T-34s, or Pz.IVs
It still has the same characteristics as the Strv m/42, being heavier than the earlier Lago I with the added weight from more armour. However, mobility is still pretty good despite the increased armour and weight due to an improved engine being installed. Due to this edge in mobility, it can get to the locations needed to be able to perform ambushes from behind hills and cliffs. However, do note that the Ikv 73 retains a slow reverse speed that causes problems when having to reverse into a better position or go back into hiding after firing.
Enemies to note:
- T-34: T-34s have angled armour where the Ikv 73's gun might not be able to penetrate the frontal hull armour and they have a gun which can pose a serious threat to the Ikv 73. Ikv 73 has to be careful about where to aim at these kinds of targets.
- M4 Sherman: M4s angled or sloped armour can cause similar trouble as the T-34's armour, but Shermans have a thicker armoured plate giving it more serious problems to penetrate frontally so tactical thinking is required to deal with this type of target.
- KV-1 KV-1s are targets where the gun is seriously lacking in penetration capabilities to do any damage to KV-1. Only a well-placed shot at one of its weakpoints can do any damage. These types of heavily armoured vehicles will take time and skill to deal with in an Ikv 73.
- Panzer IV Panzer IVs are not serious threats in terms of armour like M4s, T-34s and KV-1s; but what the Panzer IV lacks in armour it compensates with a short or long 75 mm gun which can pose serious threat if they manage to hit the Ikv 73. The armour is no threat to the Ikv 73's gun so they are easy to deal with, but at distance the Panzer IV has the advantage over the Ikv 73.
Pros and cons
- Has a machine gun on top that can rotate 360°
- Excellent gun depression
- APHE shell can cause devastating damage if it penetrates
- Decent mobility
- Tall profile
- APHE shell has poor penetration power
- Low penetration gun will have trouble penetrating higher rank targets (KVs, Shermans, T-34s)
- Main gun has quite low muzzle velocity
- Armour is almost useless in higher rank battles
- Slow reverse speed
- Slow turret rotation
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the vehicle in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the vehicle and adding a block "/History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Vehicle-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref></ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article with
<references />. This section may also include the vehicle's dev blog entry (if applicable) and the in-game encyclopedia description (under
=== In-game description ===, also if applicable).
- Related development
- Tanks of comparable role, configuration and era
|L-60||Strv m/38 · Strv m/39 · Strv m/39 TD · Strv m/40L|
|Pbil m/40||Pbil m/40|
|Strv 74||Strv 74|
|Unimog 404||U-SH 405|
|Lago||Lago I · Strv m/42 EH · Ikv 73 · Strv m/42 DT|
|Ikv 72||Ikv 72 · Ikv 103|
|Pvkv m/43||Pvkv m/43 (1946) · Pvkv m/43 (1963)|
|SPAA||Pvlvv fm/42 · L-62 ANTI II|
|Sweden medium tanks|
|Strv m/42||Lago I · Strv m/42 EH · Ikv 73 · Strv m/42 DT|
|Centurion derivatives||Strv 81 · Strv 81 (RB 52) · Strv 101 · Strv 104 · Strv 105|
|Strv 103||Strv 103-0 · Strv 103A · Strv 103С|
|Strv 121/122||Strv 121 · Strv 122A · Strv 122B PLSS|
|Sweden premium ground vehicles|
|Light tanks||Strv m/39 · Pbil m/40 · Strv m/41 S-I · CV 90105 TML|
|Medium tanks||Strv 81 (RB 52) · Strv 103-0|
|Tank destroyers||Ikv 73 · SAV 20.12.48|