G.55 serie 1
|This page is about the Italian fighter G.55 serie 1. For other versions, see G.55 (Family).|
The G.55 Centauro serie 1 is a rank III Italian fighter with a battle rating of 4.7 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced in Update 1.69 "Regia Aeronautica".
Adequate. This is the word that comes to mind when referring to the flight characteristics of the G.55. While not particularly good at anything, it isn't particularly bad at anything either, which makes it a solid jack-of-all-trades type plane. Overall, it is a smooth flyer that has decent acceleration, speed and climb rate while sporting a powerful triad of MG 151's which load the feared minengeschoß round that can tear through planes like a hot knife through butter. It excels the most in medium altitude (3-5 km) as a powerful energy-based dogfighter which can take advantage of its great engine power to defeat most allied fighters it comes across.
|Characteristics|| Max Speed
(km/h at 6,500 m)
| Max altitude
| Turn time
| Rate of climb
| Take-off run|
|Combat flaps||Take-off flaps||Landing flaps||Air brakes||Arrestor gear|
|Wings (km/h)||Gear (km/h)||Flaps (km/h)||Max Static G|
|Optimal velocities (km/h)|
|< 400||< 420||< 450||> 715|
|Optimal altitude||100% Engine power||WEP Engine power|
|5,700 m||1,260 hp||1,399 hp|
Survivability and armour
- 8 mm Steel - Pilot's seat
- 50 mm Bulletproof glass - Armored windscreen
- Critical components located at the front of aircraft (pilot, engine, controls)
- Fuel tanks located in wings
- Fuel tank in the fuselage behind the pilot
The G.55 serie 1 is armed with:
- 1 x 20 mm MG 151 cannons, nose-mounted (250 rpg)
- 2 x 20 mm MG 151 cannons, wing-mounted (200 rpg = 400 total)
- 2 x 12.7 mm Breda-SAFAT machine guns, nose-mounted (300 rpg = 600 total)
The two cannons are mounted in each wing. A single 20 mm cannon is mounted in the nose of the aircraft, firing through the propeller hub. The two machine guns are nose-mounted, positioned between the pilot and the engine of the aircraft. If fired continuously, the wing-mounted cannons will run out of ammunition before the nose-mounted cannon.
Do not use the Breda HMG's as a source of damage, as they have very poor ballistics beyond 300 meters. The pilot should use them as scouting weapons in order to line-up shots for the MG 151's to save ammunition, which isn't necessarily needed as the 151's have a large pool of ammunition, but it does help when trying to play more conservatively.
The G.55 serie 1 can be outfitted with the following ordnance:
- Without load
- 2 x 50 kg GP 50 bombs (100 kg total)
- 2 x 100 kg GP 100 bombs (200 kg total)
Usage in battles
The G.55's main strong points come down to its engine power, its light construction and its wing profile, which grant it a high sustained rate of climb, a tight turning circle and the power output to endure sustained horizontal manoeuvring. It performs best up to medium altitudes around 5,000 m (16,404 feet), after which it is generally outperformed by its competition. unfortunately, its light construction and its wing profile mean that when the Centauro goes into the vertical, it bleeds speed very easily. Its top speed in a dive is unimpressive and it can barely catch up in a zoom climb with its competitors. The armament is very effective as well, however, the MG 151 is not very accurate at range, which should be taken into account when engaging in head-on passes.
You should primarily enforce an energy fighting flying style to take advantage of the aircraft's descent energy retention and solid manoeuvrability, and also to try to cover the Centauro's weakness of mediocre speed. Try to stay above your enemy, but take care to recognize the threat your attacker poses by observing the plane they are flying.
Specific enemies worth noting
- Spitfire F Mk IX and Spitfire F Mk XIVe. These two Spitfire's are some of the most common enemies you will face, and accordingly, some of the most dangerous. The Mk IX has decent speed, amazing climb rate and a turn rate that'll embarrass zeroes, and the XIVe has excellent speed and acceleration, great energy retention and solid performance at high altitude. You should never engage a Spitfire in a turn-fight, so focus on Boom-&-Zoom to use your powerful armament to shred through their weak airframes.
- P-51D-30. The P-51D-30 is another enemy you should take note of. It is arguably one of the best 4.7/5.0 aircraft thanks to its excellent speed, great climb rate, relatively powerful armament and solid high-speed manoeuvrability due to its Laminar flow wings. The Packard V-1650 is basically a Merlin engine tuned for high altitude, and it can propel the D-30 to speeds the G.55 can only dream of. However, the D-30 has extremely poor manoeuvrability at low speeds due to the same Laminar flow wings that allow it to turn well at high speeds, so if you cannot engage one with an energy advantage you can turn-fight it.
- Yak-3P. The feared red Russian menace is an extremely dangerous opponent that can engage you on a more than even footing. It turns extremely well and has a solid climb rate while also sporting a relatively powerful set of 3 B-20 cannons, but its performance suffers above 3,000 m where its already mediocre speed becomes crippling. As long as you take care to not turn fight one and engage it above 4,000 m, it is not a threat.
- Late Bf 109's. While you cannot face one in realistic battles, arcade battles pose this threat. The G-2 and G-6 outclass you in every way, shape and form. Under no circumstances are you to engage these opponents, and if one forces a fight on you, seek assistance from teammates.
Manual Engine Control
|Not controllable|| Controllable
Not auto controlled
Auto control available
Auto control available
|Separate|| Not controllable
|I||Fuselage repair||Radiator||Offensive 12 mm||MCGP50|
|II||Compressor||Airframe||New 12 mm MGs|
|III||Wings repair||Engine||Offensive 20 mm||MCSAP100|
|IV||Engine injection||Cover||New 20 mm cannons|
Pros and cons
- Good climb rate
- Exceptional low and mid-altitude performance
- Relatively robust airframe
- Good turn and roll rate
- Effective armament with a large ammunition pool
- Multi-role fighter which can carry bombs
- Lack of armour means the pilot is more prone to being knocked out in a head-on pass
- Engine overheats quickly on WEP
- Roll and yaw are limited at high speeds
- Metal beams on canopy window obstruct the first-person view
- Very expensive repair cost for its rank
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the aircraft in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the vehicle and adding a block "/History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Vehicle-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref></ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article with
<references />. This section may also include the vehicle's dev blog entry (if applicable) and the in-game encyclopedia description (under
=== In-game description ===, also if applicable).
Excellent additions to the article would be video guides, screenshots from the game, and photos.
- G.55 (Family): vehicles of the same family
|Fiat Aviation (Fiat Aviazione)|
|Fighters||CR.32 · CR.32 bis · CR.32 quater|
|CR.42 · Marcolin's C.R.42 CN|
|G.50 serie 2 · G.50 AS serie 7|
|G.55 sottoserie 0 · G.55 serie 1 · G.55S|
|Jet fighters||G.91 pre-serie · G.91 R/1 · G.91 YS|
|Bombers||BR.20 DR · B.R.20M M1|
|▀G.91 R/3 · ▀G.91 R/4 · G.91 R/4|
|Captured||▀CR.42 · ▀Marcolin's C.R.42 CN · ▀G.50 serie 2 · ▀G.50 AS serie 7|
|See also||North American Aviation · Lockheed Martin|
|Fiat||CR.32 · CR.32 bis · CR.32 quater · CR.42 · Marcolin's C.R.42 CN|
|G.50 serie 2 · G.50 AS serie 7 · G.55 sottoserie 0 · G.55 serie 1 · G.55S · G.56|
|Reggiane||Re.2000 G.A. · Re.2000 serie 1 · Re.2001 serie 1 · Re.2001 gruppo 22 · Re.2001 CB · Re.2001 CN · Re.2002 Early · Re.2005 serie 0|
|Macchi||C.200 serie 3 · C.200 serie 7 · C.202 · C.202EC · C.205 serie 1 · C.205 serie 3 · C.205N2|
|Germany||▄Bf 109 G-2 · ▄Bf 109 G-14/AS · ▄Bf 110 G-4|
|Britain||▄Spitfire Mk Vb/trop|