The Carro Armato M Celere Sahariano is a premium rank II Italian medium tank with a battle rating of 2.3 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced in Update "New Power".
Survivability and armour
- Rolled homogeneous armour - Main
- Structural steel - Sideskirts and fenders
|Armour||Front (Slope angle)||Sides||Rear||Roof|
|Hull|| 35 mm + 15 mm (55°) Upper Glacis
35 mm (55°) Driver's Hatch 20 mm (55°) Upper Glacis (Lower Portion)
20 mm (35°) Lower Glacis
| 15 mm Main
8 mm Upper Engine Compartment
|15 mm Lower Part
8 mm Upper Part
|10 mm Crew Compartment
8 mm Engine Compartment
|Turret|| 30 mm (12°) Turret front
30 mm + 40 mm (Curved) Gun mantlet
|25 mm||25 mm||10 mm|
- Fenders and sideskirts - 5 mm
- Tracks, road wheels, drive sprocket, etc. - 15 mm
- Suspension - 10 mm
|Game Mode||Max Speed (km/h)||Weight (tons)||Engine power (horsepower)||Power-to-weight ratio (hp/ton)|
Modifications and economy
|47 mm 47/40 mod.38||Turret rotation speed (°/s)||Reloading rate (seconds)|
|Ammunition|| Type of
|Penetration @ 0° Angle of Attack (mm)|
|10 m||100 m||500 m||1,000 m||1,500 m||2,000 m|
|Granata Perforante mod.39||APBC||69||67||59||51||43||37|
|Ammunition|| Type of
| Fuse delay
| Fuse sensitivity
| Explosive Mass
(TNT equivalent) (g)
|Granata Perforante mod.39||APBC||755||1.44||1.2||9||30||47°||60°||65°|
|122||107 (+15)||91 (+31)||46 (+76)||1 (+121)||Yes|
- The visual discrepancy concerns the number of shells per rack:
- Rack 1 & 2 are modeled as 9 shells each but disappear after having fired 16 shells from each rack.
- Racks 3 & 4 are modeled as 52 shells each but disappear after having fired 45 shells from each rack.
- As they are modeled by sets of 2, 3 or 4, shells disappear from the rack only after you fire all shells in the set.
|8 mm Breda Mod. 38|
|Mount||Capacity (Belt)||Fire rate||Vertical||Horizontal|
Usage in battles
Describe the tactics of playing in the vehicle, the features of using vehicles in the team and advice on tactics. Refrain from creating a "guide" - do not impose a single point of view but instead give the reader food for thought. Describe the most dangerous enemies and give recommendations on fighting them. If necessary, note the specifics of the game in different modes (AB, RB, SB).
Pros and cons
- Great mobility
- Wide, great grip and turning rate
- 50 mm UFP, can bounce most shells at its BR
- Slow reverse
- Relatively sub-par turret traverse, can be countered with its good turn rate and mobility
- Armour can't block higher calibre shells
- Relatively weak gun, will have difficulty dealing with M4s and T-34s
After clashing with British armored forces in the desert of North Africa in the early 1940's, the Italian Army became impressed with the performance of the various cruiser tanks fielded by the British. As a result, the army issued an order to tank manufacturers to develop a new light vehicle whose mobility and firepower would outmatch that of the cruiser tanks.
Already in 1941, work on the new vehicle began as mockups were created based on the existing M14/41 medium tank. The new vehicle incorporated thin, but sloped armor, as well as a torsion bar suspension system, instead of the more commonly used leaf spring system on similar fighting vehicles.
A single prototype of the vehicle was built by 1943, which had multiple engines trialed, including aviation ones. However, with the worsening war situation, limited Italian industrial capacity and the P40 taking over production priority along with the fact that Italy was driven out of the theater for which the vehicle was initially designed for, all this led to diminishing interest in the vehicle.
With all these factors in play, further development of the Celere Sahariano was halted and the project subsequently cancelled, leaving the sole prototype of the vehicle as the only example of the design to be built.
- Vehicles equipped with the same gun
- Other vehicles of similar configuration and role
- [Development] Celere Sahariano: The Desert Cheetah
- [History of War] Carro Armato Celere Sahariano
- [War Drawings] Carro Armato Celere Sahariano (Fast) Medium Tank
|Italy medium tanks|
|M13/40||M13/40 (I) · M13/40 (II) · M13/40 (III)|
|M14/41||M14/41 · M14/41 (47/40)|
|P26/40||P40 · P40 "G.C. Leoncello"|
|OF-40||OF-40 · OF-40 Mk.2A · OF-40 (MTCA)|
|Ariete||Ariete (P) · Ariete · Ariete PSO|
|Foreign||▄M4 Hybrid · M4 Tipo IC · ▄Sherman Vc · ▄M4A4|
|▄Pz.III N · ▄Pz.IV G|
|M26 "D.C.Ariete" · M26A1 · M47 (105/55) · M60A1 "D.C.Ariete" · ▄Leopard 1A5|
|Italy premium ground vehicles|
|Light tanks||M13/40 (II) · AUBL/74 HVG|
|Medium tanks||M14/41 (47/40) · Celere Sahariano · P40 "G.C. Leoncello" · ▄M4 Hybrid · ▄Pz.IV G|
|M26 "D.C.Ariete" · M60A1 "D.C.Ariete" · OF-40 (MTCA)|
|Tank destroyers||M43 "G.C.Leoncello"|