|This page is about the German main battle tank C2A1. For other vehicles of the family, see Leopard 1 (Family). For other uses, see Leopard (Disambiguation).|
The Leopard C2A1 MEXAS is a gift rank VI German medium tank with a battle rating of 9.0 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced during Update "Starfighters" as a reward for the 2020 Operation S.U.M.M.E.R. event.
Survivability and armour
- Rolled homogeneous armour (hull, turret roof)
- Cast homogeneous armour (turret, gun mantlet, turret ring)
- Composite screen (add-on armour on the hull and the turret)
|Armour||Front (Slope angle)||Sides||Rear||Roof|
|Hull|| 70 mm (60°) Upper Glacis
50 mm (50°) Lower Glacis
| 35 mm (39-41°) Top
30 mm Bottom
| 25 mm (14°) Upper Glacis
25 mm (49°) Lower Glacis
| 30 mm Front |
15 mm (7°) Rear
|Turret|| 65 mm Turret front
45-200 mm (0-67°) Gun mantlet
| 37-45 mm Left Side
40-43 mm Right Side
|25-52 mm||20-35 mm|
- Suspension wheels, tracks and bogies are 20 mm thick.
- Storage boxes at the back of the turret are 5 mm thick.
- Additional armour covers the hull and the turret:
|Composite screens||Front (Slope angle)||Sides|
|Hull|| Up to 200 mm Upper Glacis
Up to 200 mm Lower Glacis
| Up to 320 mm Top |
Up to 150 mm Bottom
|Turret||Up to 450 mm Gun mantlet||Up to 320 mm|
|Game Mode||Max Speed (km/h)||Weight (tons)||Engine power (horsepower)||Power-to-weight ratio (hp/ton)|
Modifications and economy
|105 mm L7A3||Turret rotation speed (°/s)||Reloading rate (seconds)|
|Ammunition|| Type of
|Penetration @ 0° Angle of Attack (mm)|
|10 m||100 m||500 m||1,000 m||1,500 m||2,000 m|
|Ammunition|| Type of
| Fuse delay
| Fuse sensitivity
| Explosive Mass
(TNT equivalent) (g)
|55||55 (+0)||16 (+39)||12 (+43)||1 (+54)||No|
- Racks 3 and 4 are first stage ammo racks. They total 15 shells and get filled first when loading up the tank.
- These racks are also emptied early: the rack depletion order at full capacity is: 4 - 3 - 1 - 2.
- To go into battle with the frontal ammo racks empty, pack 16 (+39) shells.
|7.62 mm C6|
|Mount||Capacity (Belt)||Fire rate||Vertical||Horizontal|
Usage in battles
Describe the tactics of playing in the vehicle, the features of using vehicles in the team and advice on tactics. Refrain from creating a "guide" - do not impose a single point of view but instead give the reader food for thought. Describe the most dangerous enemies and give recommendations on fighting them. If necessary, note the specifics of the game in different modes (AB, RB, SB).
Pros and cons
- Deadly gun with excellent APFSDS rounds (408 mm penetration at 10 m, 1,455 m/s), as well as good ammo options available (HEAT, HESH rounds)
- Adequate gun depression/elevation angles (+20°/-9°), so good at fighting uphill and downhill
- Effective two axis stabilization
- Effective zoom values (4x-12x) to look for targets and place accurate shots
- The extra composite screens work as a spaced armour and are an effective protection against HEAT in some parts
- Good reverse speed (25 km/h) to get out of sticky situations
- Access to a laser range finder for quick and accurate ranging
- Access to thermal imaging to spot targets in bad conditions (only 1st gen though, 800 x 600 resolution)
- Can produce a favourable German line-up alongside the Leopard A1A1 (L/44), Leopard A1A1, Radkampfwgen 90 etc.
- Armour will not protect you against most APFSDS rounds nor chemical rounds, especially to the front
- Roof-mounted MG are in rifle-calibres, and can not cause sufficient damage against most encountered enemies
- Heavier weight than the standard Leopard 1 due to extra screen armour affects acceleration, handling, and turret traverse
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the vehicle in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the vehicle and adding a block "/History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Vehicle-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref></ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article with
<references />. This section may also include the vehicle's dev blog entry (if applicable) and the in-game encyclopedia description (under
=== In-game description ===, also if applicable).
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the series of the vehicles;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
|Germany medium tanks|
|Pz.III||Pz.III B · Pz.III E · Pz.III F · Pz.III J · Pz.III J1 · Pz.III J1 TD · Pz.III L · Pz.III M · Pz.III N|
|Pz.IV||Pz.IV C · Pz.IV E · Pz.IV F1 · Pz.IV F2 · Pz.IV G · Pz.IV H · Pz.IV J · Pz.Bef.Wg.IV J|
|Pz.V||Panther A · Panther D · Panther F · Panther G · Ersatz M10 · Panther II|
|M48 Upgrades||M48A2 G A2 · M48 Super|
|Leopard 1||Leopard I · Leopard A1A1 · Leopard A1A1 (L/44) · Leopard 1A5 · C2A1|
|Leopard 2||PT-16/T14 mod. · Leopard 2K · Leopard 2A4 · Leopard 2 PL · Leopard 2A5 · Leopard 2A6|
|Trophies||▀M4 748 (a) · ▀T 34 747 (r)|
|Other||Nb.Fz. · KPz-70|
|USA||mKPz M47 G · M48A2 C|