|This page is about the Italian MBT Ariete. For other vehicles of the family, see Ariete (Family).|
The C1 Ariete is a rank VII Italian medium tank with a battle rating of 10.3 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced in Update 1.89 "Imperial Navy".
Survivability and armour
The C1 Ariete is the least armored top tier MBT currently in the game but that does not mean it has no armor to speak of. The turret front is decently protected especially with the WAR kit modification allowing it to stop all APFSDS rounds fired from guns smaller than 120mm as well as most of the weaker 120mm APFSDS rounds such as the 3BM22, L23A1 and DM13. The WAR kit also makes the turret invulnerable to all HEAT threats except for tandem ATGMs. The mantlet on the Ariete is not too large but it will be your weak spot from the front but that is also true for all other MBTs. The gunner and commander sit on the left side of the turret while the loader sits on the right, and the large optics block on the left side of the turret can occasionally save your gunner and commander by soaking up the post penetration damage.
Unfortunately that's where the armor ends, the hull is one large weak spot with a huge LFP consisting of just one angled 50mm plate that won't stop anything fired at you even from 8.7 vehicles; while the UFP is made out of spaced armor that can only stop auto-cannon rounds or 105mm APDS shells. Shots through the hull will most likely take out the tank immediately, a shot on the left side of the hull front would take out the driver, gunner and commander, while a shot to the right side would hit the first stage ammo rack. Like most top tier vehicles, the tank sides offer little protection, though the fuel tanks in the side of the hull might soak up the occasional HEAT round but it isn't something you can rely on. Ultimately, it is advised to play this tank away from the front lines sniping whenever possible peaking from behind cover to maximize the use of your turret armor.
|Game Mode||Max Speed (km/h)||Weight (tons)||Engine power (horsepower)||Power-to-weight ratio (hp/ton)|
Modifications and economy
|120 mm OTO Breda 120/44||Turret rotation speed (°/s)||Reloading rate (seconds)|
|Ammunition|| Type of
|Penetration @ 0° Angle of Attack (mm)|
|10 m||100 m||500 m||1,000 m||1,500 m||2,000 m|
|Ammunition|| Type of
| Fuse delay
| Fuse sensitivity
| Explosive Mass
(TNT equivalent) (g)
|42||__ (+__)||__ (+__)||__ (+__)||__ (+__)||__ (+__)||__ (+__)||__|
Offensive and anti-aircraft machine guns not only allow you to fight some aircraft but also are effective against lightly armoured vehicles. Evaluate machine guns and give recommendations on its use.
|7.62 mm Beretta MG42/59|
|Mount||Capacity (Belt)||Fire rate||Vertical||Horizontal|
|Pintle (Commander (right))||2,000 (200)||1,200||-__°/+__°||±__°|
|Pintle (Loader (left))||2,000 (200)||1,200||-__°/+__°||±__°|
Usage in battles
Describe the tactics of playing in the vehicle, the features of using vehicles in the team and advice on tactics. Refrain from creating a "guide" - do not impose a single point of view but instead give the reader food for thought. Describe the most dangerous enemies and give recommendations on fighting them. If necessary, note the specifics of the game in different modes (AB, RB, SB).
Pros and cons
- The DM33 APFSDS round is a tier 1 modification
- The CL3143 APFSDS round can penetrate almost all tanks even in the turret cheeks
- The turret cheeks are reasonably armoured especially with the War kit modification equipped
- Decent mobility both forwards and backwards
- The commander has access to thermal sights, and both gunner and commander thermals are Gen 2 (higher resolution)
- Outstanding gun handling characteristics
- Quick and responsive reverse
- Fairly decent and reactive mobility at medium to high speeds
- Quick neutral steering
- CL3143, combined with great thermals and a laser rangefinder make for an exceptionally deadly sniper
- Hull armour almost non-existent
- Placement of crew members and first stage ammo rack make hits to the hull fatal
- The lack of armour is not counteracted by improved mobility, the mobility is average for a rank VII ground vehicle
- The CL3143 round is a tier 4 modification
- The War kit armour package is a tier 4 modification
- The War kit armour package only increases chemical protection, with missiles and 125 mm HEAT-FS still able to penetrate
- Transmission makes low speed manoeuvring sluggish
- Russian tanks, coated in CONTACT-5 ERA, can withstand CL3143 directly on the ERA blocks
- Narrow FOV and mediocre zoom in the gunner sights
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the vehicle in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the vehicle and adding a block "/History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Vehicle-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref></ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article with
<references />. This section may also include the vehicle's dev blog entry (if applicable) and the in-game encyclopedia description (under
=== In-game description ===, also if applicable).
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the series of the vehicles;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- encyclopedia page on the tank;
- other literature.
|Italy medium tanks|
|M13/40||M13/40 (I) · M13/40 (II) · M13/40 (III)|
|M14/41||M14/41 · M14/41 (47/40)|
|P26/40||P40 · P40 "G.C. Leoncello"|
|OF-40||OF-40 · OF-40 Mk.2A · OF-40 (MTCA)|
|Ariete||Ariete (P) · Ariete · Ariete PSO|
|Foreign||▄M4 Hybrid · M4 Tipo IC · ▄Sherman Vc · ▄M4A4|
|M26 "D.C.Ariete" · M26A1 · M47 (105/55) · M60A1 "D.C.Ariete" · ▄Leopard 1A5|