34 km/h back64 km/h forward
30 km/h backSpeed
The C1 Ariete is a rank VII Italian medium tank with a battle rating of 10.3 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced in Update 1.89 "Imperial Navy".
Survivability and armour
The C1 Ariete is the least armored top tier MBT currently in the game but that does not mean it has no armor to speak of. The turret front is decently protected especially with the WAR kit modification allowing it to stop all APFSDS rounds fired from guns smaller than 120mm as well as most of the weaker 120mm APFSDS rounds such as the 3BM22, L23A1 and DM13. The WAR kit also makes the turret invulnerable to all HEAT threats except for tandem ATGMs. The mantlet on the Ariete is not too large but it will be your weak spot from the front but that is also true for all other MBTs. The gunner and commander sit on the left side of the turret while the loader sits on the right, and the large optics block on the left side of the turret can occasionally save your gunner and commander by soaking up the post penetration damage.
Unfortunately that's where the armor ends, the hull is one large weak spot with a huge LFP consisting of just one angled 50mm plate that won't stop anything fired at you even from 8.7 vehicles; while the UFP is made out of spaced armor that can only stop auto-cannon rounds or 105mm APDS shells. Shots through the hull will most likely take out the tank immediately, a shot on the left side of the hull front would take out the driver, gunner and commander, while a shot to the right side would hit the first stage ammo rack. Like most top tier vehicles, the tank sides offer little protection, though the fuel tanks in the side of the hull might soak up the occasional HEAT round but it isn't something you can rely on. Ultimately, it is advised to play this tank away from the front lines sniping whenever possible peaking from behind cover to maximize the use of your turret armor.
|Game Mode||Mobility characteristics||Engine power (horsepower)||Power-to-weight ratio (hp/ton)|
- One 120 mm OTO/Breda 120/44 gun (42 rounds)
Some tanks are armed with several guns in one or more turrets. Evaluate the additional weaponry and give advice on its use. Describe the ammunition available for additional weaponry. Give advice on about how to use them and how to fill the ammunition storage. If there is no additional weaponry remove this subsection.
- One coaxial 7.62 mm Beretta MG42/59 machine gun (4500 rounds)
- Two pintle-mount 7.62 mm Beretta MG42/59 machine guns (4000 rounds per gun)
Usage in battles
Describe the tactics of playing in the vehicle, the features of using vehicles in the team and advice on tactics. Refrain from creating a "guide" - do not impose a single point of view but instead give the reader food for thought. Describe the most dangerous enemies and give recommendations on fighting them. If necessary, note the specifics of the game in different modes (AB, RB, SB).
Pros and cons
- Has DM33 APFSDS as stock ammo
- The CL3143 APDSFS round is the best round in the game and can penetrate almost all tanks even in the turret cheeks
- The turret cheeks are reasonably armored especially with the WAR kit modification equipped
- Decent mobility both in froward and reverse
- Hull armor almost non existent
- Placement of crew members and first stage ammo rack make hits to the hull fatal
- The lack of armor is not counteracted by improved mobility, the mobility is average for top rank
- The CL3143 round is a tier 4 modification
- The WAR kit armor package is a tier 4 modification
- The commander does not have access to thermal sights
- Current transmission bug makes low speed maneuvering sluggish
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the ground vehicle in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the vehicle and adding a block "/ History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Vehicle-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article. This section may also include the vehicle's dev blog entry (if applicable) and the in-game encyclopedia description (under
=== In-game description ===, also if applicable).
Excellent additions to the article would be video guides, screenshots from the game, and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the series of the vehicles;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- encyclopedia page on the tank;
- other literature.
|Italy medium tanks|
|Carro Armato||M11/39 · M13/40 (I) · M13/40 (II) · M13/40 (III) · M14/41 · M15/42 · P40 · P40 "G.C. Leoncello"|
|OF-40||OF-40 · OF-40 Mk.2A · OF-40 (MTCA)|
|Ariete||Ariete (P) · Ariete · Ariete PSO|
|Foreign chassis||M4 Tipo IC · M26 "D.C.Ariete" · M26A1 · M47 (105/55) · M60A1 "D.C.Ariete"|