|This page is about the aircraft A-26C-45. For other uses, see A-26 (Disambiguation)|
- 1 Description
- 2 General info
- 3 Armaments
- 4 Usage in the battles
- 5 History
- 6 Media
- 7 Read also
- 8 Sources
The A-26C-45 Invader is a gift Rank IV American bomber with a battle rating of 5.3 (AB/RB) and 5.7 (SB). It was introduced in Update 1.31.
High-speed attacker/bomber, gets in and out of target zone without being spotted at best. It can serve as a good entry plane to understand and train Jet-bomber tactics.
With speed, maneuverability and a large hitting power the A-26 should not be taken lightly. The plane has cruising speed of which all piston engine bombers dream of and is currently unmatched in the game. Reaching a maximum speed of 568.8 kph the Invader is faster than the comparable Tu-2 by a significant 202 kph. This speed allows the A-26 to strike targets deep in enemy territory and early on better than any other aircraft (excluding the jets). It also has a 4,000 lb payload with a variety of load-outs, making it very versatile in its role, allowing it to attack many different targets with great efficiency. To add to this, it has eight Browning M2 .50 cal machine guns to attack soft targets and the unfortunate fighter if you have the chance. Unlike the Mosquito the A-26 has defensive gunners and decent ones at that. With 2 x twin M2 MG remote turrets it allows for very accurate and deadly fire.
| Max Speed
(km/h at 4,573 m)
| Max altitude
| Turn time
| Rate of climb
| Max Speed
(km/h at 4,573 m)
|Max altitude (meters)||Turn time (seconds)|| Rate of climb
|Take-off run (meters)|
|Combat flap||Take-off flap||Landing flap||Air brakes||Arrestor gear|
| Wing-break speed
| Gear limit
| Combat flap
|Max Static G|
|< 392||< 375||< 480||> 280|
|Optimal altitude||100% Engine power||WEP Engine power|
|457 m||4,000 hp||-|
Survivability and armour
- 12.7 mm Steel - Nose plate
- 8 mm Steel - Under engine armor plate (each nacelle)
- 12.7 mm Steel - Fore/aft nacelle fuel protection plates x 2 (each nacelle)
- 12.7 mm Steel - Fore cockpit armor plate
- 9.5 mm Steel - Cockpit tub
- 9 mm Steel - Pilot/Co-pilot's seat backs
- 12.7 mm Steel - Gunner aft armor plate
- 12.7 mm Steel - Gunner lower armor plate
- 12.7 mm Steel - Aircraft tail armor plate
- 60 mm Bulletproof glass - Pilot
The A-26C-45 is armed with:
- 2 × 12.7 mm Browning M2 Browning machine gun, nose-mounted (400 rpg = 800 total)
- 6 × 12.7 mm Browning M2 Browning machine gun, wing-mounted (300 rpg = 1,800 total)
Main article: Bombs
The A-26C-45 can be outfitted with the following ordinance:
- 20 x 100 lb AN-M30A1 bombs (2,000 lb total)
- 10 x 500 lb AN-M64A1 bombs (5,00 lb total)
- 4 x 1,000 lb AN-M65A1 bombs (4,000 lb total)
- 2 x 2,000 lb AN-M66A2 bombs (4,000 lb total)
The A-26C-45 is defended by:
- 2 x 12.7 mm Browning M2 machine gun, dorsal turret (500 rpg = 1,000 total)
- 2 x 12.7 mm Browning M2 machine gun, ventral turret (500 rpg = 1,000 total)
Usage in the battles
Use the A-26 to deliver fast tactic based strikes. In the first minutes of the game plan your route and decide on your key targets, the basics you want to include are:
- Focus on large amounts of Heavy/ medium targets
- Stay away from the main dogfights
- Follow paths that don't cross the normal enemy climb routes
- Utilize terrain as cover where ever possible
The best targets to choose are the "heavy" or "medium" targets at the far sides of the map or away form the main routes taken by the enemy. This is because they have an distinctive effect on the battle but also give large rewards post game allowing for quick research/ progression with the advantage of you being to strike more targets before the fighters arrive. On your approach you want to the air spawn to gain speed in a dive then stay low. By staying low you take advantage of the spotting system at you become harder to spot and gain a marker (because if you do, your 60% dead). It also allows you to be masked by the terrain.
The payloads allows allow for attacks against many targets with great efficiency. Each bomb load has it's preferred target type to create the most damage which is noted as follows:
- 8 x 500 lb- Best for attacking medium to heavy ground targets, destroy the easier, stationary, pillboxes where possible over tanks
- 4 x 1,000 lb- Best for anti-shipping, specifically cruisers and battleships (Carriers are too armored* and destroyers or Cargo ships would be overkill)
- 2 x 2,000 lb- Best for carriers and bombing points.
The stock payload is 20 x 100 lb bombs. To make use of these, drop 2-3 bombs at a time on a medium armored target however move onto the higher paymbloads when possible. A tip for bombing in the A-26 is to release half a second before the cross hairs move over the target. This is to compensate for the bomb doors opening then the bombs being released. However you can also use these to hit soft targets if you so want to.
- Carriers can be knocked out however accuracy is needed. Firstly take note of there the island is (the tower) while from a safe distance. Then maneuver in to a path that will be adjacent to the carrier and with the island facing you. Release two 1,000 lb bombs into the island and it should kill the carrier.
Manual Engine Control
|Controllable||Not controllable||Not controllable||Not controllable||Separate||Not ontrollable||Not controllable|
|I||Fuselage Repair||Radiator||Offensive 12 mm||SBC mk.I|
|II||Compressor||Airframe||New 12 mm MGs|
|III||Wing Repair||Engine||Turret 12 mm||MBC mk.1|
|IV||Engine Injection||Cover||New 12 mm MGs (turret)||LBC mk.1|
- As gift vehicle upgrades need to be researched, unlike premium aircraft. Considering its combat role, unlocking the various bomb modules is recommended first and then follow up with the speed upgrades as this fast medium bomber is all about velocity.
Pros and cons
- Currently the fastest twin piston-engine bomber/attacker in game
- Excellent rate of climb for a plane its size
- Wing mounted .50 cal machine guns allow for strafing of soft ground targets
- Capable of outrunning some enemy aircraft at sea level
- Payload efficient (max 4,000 lbs) to deal with most objectives
- Gunners vulnerable to getting knocked out
- Difficult to maneuver at high speeds
- Low service ceiling makes high altitude bombing discouraging
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the aircraft in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too big, take it to a separate article, taking a link to an article about the vehicle and adding a block "/ historical reference" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/Name-vehicles/historical reference) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to include links to sources at the end of the article.
An excellent addition to the article will be video guides, as well as screenshots from the game and photos.
- [Vehicle Profile] Douglas A-26C
This plane is identical to the A-26C-45DT in all ways except for the latter's rockets. The 45 Invader was a gift plane for buyers of a MSI notebook.
- In the 2013 Memorial Day event between May 27-28, the A-26C-45 was available in unlock codes on Facebook.
- In the 2013 Summer event, the A-26C-45 was available along with the P-39N to be won in a screenshot contest or in a lottery.
- In 2016 it was available during the War Thunder Mastermind Quiz event in celebration of 500,000 likes on Facebook.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- page on aircraft encyclopedia;
- other literature.
|Dive||SB2U-2 · SB2U-3 · SBD-3 Dauntless · SB2C-1c Helldiver · SB2C-4 Helldiver|
|Torpedo||TBD-1 Devastator · PBY-5 Catalina · PBY-5a Catalina · TBF-1C Avenger · BTD-1 Destroyer|
|Medium||B-10B · B-18A · B-34 · PV-2D Harpoon · B-25J-1 Mitchell · B-25J-20 Mitchell · A-26C-45 Invader · A-26C-45DT|
|Heavy||B-17E Flying Fortress · B-17E Flying Fortress /Late · B-17G-60-VE Flying Fortress · PB4Y-2 Privateer · B-24D-25-CO Liberator · B-29A-BN Superfortress|