Visual Editing - Some mistakes to avoid
Visual editing brings an alternative way to edit a wiki which does not require you to wade through wiki code. A few things to remember:
- Do not remove instructions from the different sections of a page (typically identified by an exclamation mark in a circle), a simple mouseover will expand on the entire instruction set.
- Do not remove parser and template functions, these will show up as a puzzle piece with a name afterwards (such as "Specs", "Break", "Battle-rating" or such).
Editing Questions Here
Hello, AN_TRN_26. Thanks for reaching out to me. I wanted to know where I can find information on the "Details" ("Features", "Limits" "Optimal Velocities", and "Compressor") of planes. So far, I can't find the info for any of these via the in-game UI. Could you point me to where they are? Sincerely, ~KN_940 23:09, 25 February 2019
Hello. I've got a question about categories. Earlier each faction and category had at least brief explanation "what are those" in general, or what's their specialty on top of their page. Were those removed on purpose, or it's just an accident? Also, is it okay to translate mechanics guides from .ru wiki to transfer to here? If so, should I shortcut the screenshots and so on from there directly, or re-upload those here? Also, if I was to make ground-based radar page, is there any tooltip, that can show, that page is unfinished or something? (since there I can only provide info for 1 type of those, and there is 2 or 3 as far as I know.) --bangerland (talk) 07:44, 11 April 2019 (UTC)
- Hello bangerland, 1) With the change to the new wiki, there really isn't the same place to have brief explanations of the different categories and so they were not migrated. If you feel there is a place to have it, let me know and we can consider it. 2) It is fine to go ahead and translate any mechanic pages from the Russian Wiki which we don't have yet. If you understand Russian that will make it easier, if not Google Translate will get you in the ballpark and you can tweak it from there (https://wiki.warthunder.com/I-29 is a page I did that with just to do it, it was a fun exercise). Go ahead and upload the screenshots to our wiki, if possible, replace any screenshots with Russian (or in Russian) with ones in English. If you cannot get an English equivalent, make sure in the caption you briefly explain what is stated in Russian. 3)As far as a page for the ground-based radar, if it is in the game (like the airborne radars) we should be able to add them. Use the airborne radar page (https://wiki.warthunder.com/Airborne_Radars) as an example to go by. If it is not in the game and you are wanting to write up a historical page about them, we should be able to find/create a category for them so people will know not to expect to find it in the game, but can read up on it for historical facts (sneaky way to educate people!). As you are working on the pages, if you want us to evaluate what you have as you go, just leave a note in the summary line for any of the moderators to take a look and make suggestions. Good luck! AN_TRN_26 (talk) 10:43, 11 April 2019 (UTC)
- Categories: Well, I'm not thinking that every category needs brief tellings, but faction explanations were nice (at least on base level, like, which types of shells they generally use and what does it mean.), though on different ranks situation changed drastically, so idk. On other hand, something like helicopters page may need short explanation. As in, many players do not understand why support helis even exist in the game. I clearly can tell now, that support helicopters can dodge radar SPAA fire by doing maneuvers, dropping altitude, etc., so they have a purpose now. Plus I feel like the stat cards of helis don't really explain their strong and weak sides, and they're generally all same per faction. As in: USA - powerful main turret, but can carry only 4/2 pilons with weapons. USSR - slow, and main turret is lacking, but attack helicopters can carry 4 pilons of "main" payload and 2 pilons of "sub" payload, resulting in ability to carpet bomb enemy SPAA with rockets while doing your job, and support helicopters can add bombs (they work, lol). German - More 3d mobility, than the rest support helicopters. French - Faster turn rate (Q\E), I think?... I mean, I may be wrong about those, but it still took me weeks to understand it all. \\ Page transerfs: Well, I can read Russian, so it wont be an issue. I guess i'll try when I have time. \\ radar page: I guess I just make one then and then put comments in place of things I do not have, right? --bangerland (talk) 13:47, 11 April 2019 (UTC)
- I see where you are coming from with the explanations, just not sure at this time where they would fit. I believe that is part of the direction we are trying to go with the individual vehicle page, description section and usages in battle could reflect much of what you are talking about, but more specifically for each helicopter (aircraft, tank, ship...etc...) because while some variations aren't much different, others are. A TL;DR paragraph could be added with all of the necessary goodies to get started without having to read the entire article and then someone can come back and read the whole thing when they are ready. Right now many articles are lacking, but that is why we are all here for, we can write them and then they can be updated as people gain experience with them and use them. I've been hopping around working on articles (https://wiki.warthunder.com/AN-M30A1_(100_lb) and https://wiki.warthunder.com/M.B.157), but there are still a lot to do. Go ahead with the radar page, we can look at it and go from there. AN_TRN_26 (talk) 14:12, 11 April 2019 (UTC)
Another question - how does one add vehicles into "faction class tank" categories? Can't pinpoint USA medium tank page, to add Merkava MK1 to "Israeli" tab. It also seem to have weird space, perhaps a bugged link? Also, all new vehicles from event so far have broken spec-cards and icons. IDK what to do with that. --bangerland (talk) 08:45, 24 April 2019 (UTC)
- In regards to the icons for the new vehicles, those will need to be created on the Russian wiki side and then copied to our wiki (uniformity), they have not made the icons yet so that is why the image is broken on the button. The new pages for the event vehicles will be created either by Volgaigor or Inceptor57, once they are in, we can start working on them. To edit vehicles on the USA medium tank page (or expandable menu), you will need to edit the template. In the search bar, type in "Template:USA medium tanks" and as you type it you should see it auto fill, select it and then just edit the template directly (adding the new vehicle). It is pretty straight forward in the template layout. AN_TRN_26 (talk) 10:03, 24 April 2019 (UTC)
- So, basically, until they added spec-cards I can't do anything about either of these things. Template feeds from spec-card link as well, as I see. By the way, Magach 3 link from card specs has blank spaces in front of it, which caused the visual bug I mentioned. Uh well, later then. --bangerland (talk) 10:51, 24 April 2019 (UTC)
About Centering Text in a Table
Hi! Is this the place to ask any editing-related questions? If so, I'm trying to figure out how to center stuff in tables and make it full-width. I tried source-editing, but I can't figure it out. I went to google, but it gives the same answer: style="text-align:center" and width:"100%", but it doesn't seem to work. If anybody can redirect me somewhere, or just explain this, I would appreciate that. --CriminaI
- Hello Criminal, yes you can ask editing questions here. The answer you posted should work, depending on how you format it in the table, here is an example:
- |style="text-align:right;"| 52
- There are a couple of tables on the page https://wiki.warthunder.com/G.A.M.Mn_50_(50_kg) which left, right and center justify, you can look at the coding to see how its set up. If you run into issues, create the table in your name page and I can look at it (others might too) and offer suggestions on how to get you where you want the table to be. --AN_TRN_26 (talk) 19:54, 3 May 2019 (UTC)
About "So-ki" Type 2 20mm gun
You wrote to me:
"Secondly, in the historical section for the So-Ki you mentioned the Type 98 20 mm cannons and also mentioned the Type 2 20 mm cannons. At this time, War Thunder has the vehicle listed as using the Type 98 cannons and that is what we need to reference in the writing. I looked at the Wikipedia page and several other linked references (including Sensha's page - unfortunately, he did not cite his work to look at further) and the references I looked at all seemed to circle back on themselves with no real credible primary or secondary sources cited. I do not doubt that Type 2 20 mm cannons were the final choice as they were newer (1942 as opposed to the Type 98 - 1938), lighter and had faster muzzle velocity. My recommendation is to try to find at least one primary source (a technical manual, repair manual or other such original documents) or two or more secondary sources such as a book covering the history of Japanese military vehicles or other published book/document which cites sources the information was pulled from. If you can find either the primary or secondary sources which document the So-Ki actually would have gone into production with the Type 2 20 mm cannons, then you can submit a bug report War Thunder Forum (follow the instructions there) and the information may be forwarded to the developers for consideration to change the gun type listed in the game. If you should have any questions, please let me know. - AN_TRN_26 (talk) 00:17, 1 May 2019 (UTC)"
I found a primary source!
I posted a question on here: https://www.forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=241905
As Akira Takizawa states "The main gun of that tank is not Type 98, but Type 2 20mm AA gun. There is no manual about that tank, because it was only experimental. Note that So-Ki is the designation of AA gun, not of tank. Type 2 20mm Twin AA gun was called So-Ki. So-Ki mounted on tank was called So-Ki II. So-Ki is stated in the development plan 1943 of IJA 1st Technical Laboratory as below."
Theregore can I post a bug report on War Thunder Forum to change the Type 98 mm gun to Type 2 20mm gun?
Additionnally the tank was called "So-Ki II" and not "So-Ki"
- Hello. I’m not AN_TRN_26, but I can offer my perspective. Bug reports are not handled by the wiki so we don’t have first-hand influence on it. However, please make sure you have enough information as per bug report guidelines to make the report, as detailed here on the forums. I wish you the best of luck! --Inceptor57 (talk) 20:22, 2 May 2019 (UTC)
- FYI, I am working with Theoask79 to find enough primary/secondary resources surrounding the So-Ki (or So-Ki II as the new document notes) and if they pan out have him submit a bug report. I am working on getting an OCR setup to try and translate the documents available to see if I can get a decent translation before going forward as I don't read Japanese beyond a few characters (and definitely don't want to have a bug report submitted with erroneous information - trust, but verify!). AN_TRN_26 (talk) 22:12, 2 May 2019 (UTC)