Type T-14 (Mod. 01)
6 x Type 95 depth chargeSetup 3
|This page is about the premium Japanese motor torpedo boat Type T-14 (Mod. 01). For the regular version, see Type T-14.|
The Type T-14 (Mod. 01) is a premium rank I Japanese motor torpedo boat with a battle rating of 1.0 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced in Update 1.89 "Imperial Navy" with the release of the Japanese fleet open beta test. The Type T-14 (Mod. 01) differs from the standard Type T-14 variant by possessing a 25 mm Type 96 autocannon, whereas the standard version has a 13.2 mm Type 93 machine gun.
Survivability and armour
The Type T-14 has no armour, just a wooden hull which is 40 mm thick along with a 15 mm thick wooden superstructure. With 7 crew members, it should be noted that the boat cannot take many hits despite its small profile and survive. The crew compartment is located on frontal half of the boat while the ammunition supply, engine and fuel compartment sits on the rear half of the boat where the area is slightly above the water level. On top of the crew, compartment is a 25mm turret free from obstruction by the boat's obstruction, giving it a complete 360-degree firepower coverage around the boat at the expense of protection. The torpedo bays, along with the depth charge racks, rest on the boat's rear half-section and are susceptible to explosion by gunfire.
The Type T-14 (Mod. 01) has a top speed of 61 km/h (38 mph) which can be reached within 10 seconds. The boat also can go from 0 km/h to its top speed in reverse (20 km/h or 12.5 mph) in 7 seconds when in full back throttle. It takes approximately 12 seconds to halt the boat from its maximum forward speed. Its top speed doesn't quite stack up when compared to the other low tier MTBs, as it's one of the slowest in game. However its ability to turn and its general agility is great, and can comfortably dodge torpedoes or hazardous terrain.
The cream of the crop is the boat's fearsome 25 mm Type 96 autocannon, which makes the boat a bane against any boats/ships around its BR range. While it can kill most boats in a few shots, it should be noted that the gun suffers from low muzzle velocity. The gun has 360 degrees of aiming and comes with three belts: universal, APT belts and HEI belts.
- Universal belts: good balance between firepower and tracer contents, useful for newcomers to the Japanese 25 mm autocannon.
- APT belts: Full of AP shells, might not be useful.
- HEI belts: Trades tracer rounds for extra firepower and stealth. Recommended for those who got used to the gun. Very good at killing PT boats.
The Type T-14 is armed with two Type 2 torpedoes, with each of them having the potential to one-shot kill a destroyer.
The boat can carry six Type 95 depth charges, which can be dropped to maim other naval targets.
Usage in battles
Describe the technique of using this ship, the characteristics of her use in a team and tips on strategy. Abstain from writing an entire guide – don't try to provide a single point of view, but give the reader food for thought. Talk about the most dangerous opponents for this vehicle and provide recommendations on fighting them. If necessary, note the specifics of playing with this vehicle in various modes (AB, RB, SB).
Pros and cons
- Small profile compared to other equivalent boats
- Excellent armament for a premium reserve boat - huge firepower improvement over its non-premium counterpart.
- Can equip both torpedoes and depth charges
- 25mm autocannon's HEI belts don't have a lot of tracers, useful for attacking enemies unnoticed
- Not the fastest boat compared to its contemporaries
- Poor survivability due to low crew count
- Has only one gun, rendering the boat defenceless if it's disabled by gunfire
- Poor compartment spacing, allowing the enemies to damage multiple compartments of the boat quickly
- 25mm autocannon has low muzzle velocity
- 25mm autocannon's HEI belts have little amount of tracers, which makes aiming harder
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the ship in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the ship and adding a block "/History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Ship-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref></ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article with
<references />. This section may also include the ship's dev blog entry (if applicable) and the in-game encyclopedia description (under
=== In-game description ===, also if applicable).
Excellent additions to the article would be video guides, screenshots from the game, and photos.
Links to articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the series of the ship;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
|Motor torpedo boats||T-1 · T-14 · T-14 (Mod. 1) · T-38 · T-51b · Type 11|
|Motor gun boats||Ha-Go · Type 4 Model 2 · Type 4 Model 4|
|Motor torpedo gun boats||PG 02|
|Armoured gun boats||Soukou-Tei (1927) · Soukou-Tei (1940)|
|Gunboats||Akebono · Chidori|
|Japan premium ships|
|Motor torpedo boats||Type 4 Model 4 · Type T-14 (Mod. 01)|
|Motor torpedo gun boats||PG 02|
|Destroyers||IJN Satsuki · IJN Kiyoshimo · IJN Yuudachi|
|Light cruisers||IJN Mikuma|