14 km/h back35 km/h forward
13 km/h backSpeed
The Heavy Tank T30 is a rank IV American heavy tank with a battle rating of 6.7 (AB/RB/SB). This vehicle was introduced in Update 1.85 "Supersonic" in the 2018 "Festive Quest" that took place between 21 December 2018 to 14 January 2019. It was obtainable via completing ten tanker's coupons. It is also obtainable on the Gaijin market after the event is over.
The T30 was a World War II American tank project developed to counter new German tanks, such as Tiger I, Tiger II, and tank destroyers, such as the Jagdtiger, or Soviet heavy tanks, such as IS-1 or IS-2. The T30 was designed at the same time as the T29 Heavy Tank. However, it had a 155mm gun mounted on the same hull and turret as the T29 and T34's heavy tanks.
Survivability and armour
Describe armour protection. Note the most well protected and key weak areas. Appreciate the layout of modules as well as the number and location of crew members. Is the level of armour protection sufficient, is the placement of modules helpful for survival in combat?
If necessary use a visual template to indicate the most secure and weak zones of the armour.
Write about the mobility of the ground vehicle. Estimate the specific power and manoeuvrability, as well as the maximum speed forwards and backwards.
|155 mm T7|
|Turret rotation speed (°/s)|
|Mode||Stock||Upgraded||Prior + Full crew||Prior + Expert qualif.||Prior + Ace qualif.|
|Reloading rate (seconds)|
|Stock||Prior + Full crew||Prior + Expert qualif.||Prior + Ace qualif.|
|Ammunition|| Type of
|Penetration in mm @ 0° Angle of Attack|
|Ammunition|| Type of
Mass in kg
| Fuse delay
| Fuse sensitivity
| Explosive Mass in g
| Normalization At 30°
Mass in kg
| Screen radius
| Screen time
| Screen hold time
| Explosive Mass in g|
The T30 is outfitted with:
- 2 x 12.7 mm Browning M2HB machine guns (??? RPG = ??? total)
These Brownings can be extremely useful for gauging distance measurements or shooting down enemy aircraft.
Usage in battles
Despite its labeling as a heavy tank, the T30 plays more like a tank destroyer than anything else. This is as a direct result from the 155's excellent ability to over-match most enemy armor it faces. Due to the reload rate of the tank, it is best to play a similar play-style to the KV-2s.
Pros and cons
- Massive 155mm Gun which can hold it's own in a good match-up
- Effective armour which can withstand quite the battering if used correctly
- Can be an excellent breakthrough tank due to decent acceleration and speed for a tank of that size (65.8 ton)
- Crew of 6 so can still be a tough opponent even with some crew knocked out
- 155mm AP can overmatch 100mm plate on most Soviet tanks, especially T-54 and IS-6
- 40 seconds long reload on the gun which can lead to some problems (Being encircled or having to pull back for support)
- Large target and silhouette which can lead to becoming a priority target for the enemy tanks and planes
- Depression is not the best but still not terrible
- One less .50 cal machine gun than on the T29 or T34
- The armor around the gun is often penetrated, which results in breech damage.
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the ground vehicle in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the vehicle and adding a block "/ History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Vehicle-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article. This section may also include the vehicle's dev blog entry (if applicable) and the in-game encyclopedia description (under
=== In-game description ===, also if applicable).
Excellent additions to the article would be video guides, screenshots from the game, and photos.
- Other tanks sharing the design
|USA heavy tanks|
|M4 Jumbo||Assault Tank M4A3E2 Jumbo · Assault Tank M4A3E2 Jumbo "Cobra King" · Assault Tank M4A3E2 (76) W Jumbo|
|Small-scale series||Assault Tank T14 · Heavy Tank M6A1 · Heavy Tank T26E1-1 "Super Pershing"|
|Post-war||Heavy Tank T29 · Heavy Tank T30 · Heavy Tank T32 · Heavy Tank T32E1 · Heavy Tank T34 · 120 mm Gun Tank M103|