|This page is about the aircraft P-39Q-5. For other uses, see P-39 (Disambiguation)|
The P-39Q-5 Airacobra is a Rank II American fighter with a battle rating of 3.7 (AB) and 3.3 (RB/SB). It was in the game since the start of the Open Beta Test prior to Update 1.29.
The primary purpose of a P-39 is that of a low-level interceptor against low energy aircraft. It lacks the high-altitude performance needed to engage strategic-bombers. The 37 mm M4's dropping trajectory and slow rate of fire make it useless in head-on passes. Therefore, prioritize low altitude objectives, like escorting attackers & low alt bombers, or prey on the ones of the enemy.
| Max Speed
(km/h at 3,048 m)
| Max altitude
| Turn time
| Rate of climb
| Max Speed
(km/h at 3,048 m)
|Max altitude (meters)||Turn time (seconds)|| Rate of climb
|Take-off run (meters)|
|Combat flap||Take-off flap||Landing flap||Air brakes||Arrestor gear|
| Wing-break speed
| Gear limit
| Combat flap
|Max Static G|
|< 360||< 380||< 450||> 250|
|Optimal altitude||100% Engine power||WEP Engine power|
|3,724 m||1,125 hp||1,556 hp|
Survivability and armour
- 15.87 mm Steel - Propeller hub
- 15.87 mm Steel - Plate in front of the cockpit
- 7 mm Steel - Plate over instrument cluster
- 6 mm Steel - Upper pilot's seat and headrest encasement
- 6 mm Steel - Rear tail
- 38 mm Bulletproof glass - Windscreen
- 64 mm Bulletproof glass - Headrest of pilot's seat
The P-39Q-5 is armed with:
- 1 x 37 mm M4 cannon, nose-mounted (30 rpg)
- 2 x 12.7 mm Browning M2 machine gun, nose-mounted (200 rpg = 400 total)
- 2 x 12.7 mm Browning M2 machine gun, wing-mounted (150 rpg = 300 total)
The P-39Q-5 can outfit the following ordinance options:
- Without load
- 6 x 118 mm M8 Bazookas
Usage in battles
Basic dogfighting skills apply. Use energy tactics and only fire the cannon only under optimum conditions. It is advised to utilize separatekeys for the main weapons. Otherwise, utilise the given machine guns at every opportunity. The centre/cowling mounted .50 cals provide great long range accuracy & harassment.
"Jack of all trades, master of none" is the credo of the Airacobra. Thus the basic tactic is to analyse your opponent's weakness and then exploit it. The P-39 will always find an area; it is exceeding the foe. Or at least, is on par to let the skill decide. Given the P-39s sleek and rather an aerodynamic form, Boom & Zoom is the preferred form of combat. However, Turn & Burn is an option as well. Again, the P-39 provides all the options a pilot would want, a "Jack of all trades, master of none".
Manual Engine Control
|Controllable||Not controllable||Not controllable||Not controllable||Separate||Not ontrollable||Not controllable|
|I||Fuselage Repair||Radiator||Offensive 12 mm|
|II||Compressor||Airframe||New 12 mm MGs|
|III||Wings Repair||Engine||Offensive 37 mm||Rocket Launcher M10|
|IV||Engine Injection||Cover||New 37 mm Cannons|
Pros and cons
- Heavy Armament
- Great Dive Speed Acceleration/Pickup
- Good secondary armament of four HMG
- Reasonable Turn Time
- High top-end diving speed, can dive up to +800 kph
- Good climb rate
- "Jack of all trades, but master of none."
- Different weapon trajectories make aiming difficult
- 37 mm projectiles have extremely low accuracy and muzzle velocity
- 37 mm projectiles are incapable of defeating tank armour, even at optimal angles with APT rounds
- Long countdown for the 37 mm in both overheating and reload
- Easy to stall with full controls
- Low ammo count for the machine guns
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the aircraft in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too big, take it to a separate article, taking a link to an article about the vehicle and adding a block "/ History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Vehicle-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article.
An excellent addition to the article will be video guides, as well as screenshots from the game and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the series of the aircraft;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- encyclopedia page on aircraft;
- other literature.