1 backGear box
The M2 Medium is a Rank I American medium tank with a battle rating of 1.3. It was one of the first American tanks to be released with the American ground tree in Update 1.45 "Steel Generals". It has the distinction of having the most operational machine guns on a ground vehicle with a grand total of 7 (with 2 more non-operational guns on the turret!).
Survivability and armour
- Rolled homogeneous armour
- Cast homogeneous armour (Gun mantlet)
|Armour||Front (Slope angle)||Sides||Rear||Roof|
|Hull|| 28.5 mm (53°) Front glacis
28.5 mm (17-48°) Lower glacis
28.5 mm (13-16°) Driver's port
| 25.4 mm (16-36°) Front
25.4 mm Everywhere else
| 25.4 mm (1°) Hull top
25.4 mm Top engine deck
9.5 mm (12-52°) Bottom engine deck
|Turret|| 25.4 mm (10-14°) Turret front
25.4 mm (9-54°) Gun mantlet
|25.4 mm (20°)||25.4 mm (19°)||9.5 mm|
- Driver vision area is a weak spot in front armour, only sloped by about 15°.
|Weight (tons)|| Add-on Armor
|Max speed (km/h)|
|Engine power (horsepower)|
|Power-to-weight ratio (hp/ton)|
Usage in the battles
Describe the tactics of playing in the vehicle, the features of using vehicles in the team and advice on tactics. Refrain from creating a "guide" - do not impose a single point of view but give the reader food for thought. Describe the most dangerous enemies and give recommendations on fighting them. If necessary, note the specifics of the game in different modes (AB, RB, SB).
Pros and cons
- Reliable gun with good rate of fire.
- 37 mm rounds have good penetration.
- 6 crew members give a more than average crew count.
- Has 7 machine guns modeled and functional.
- Very effective against open top vehicles due to machine guns.
- Can be used as a form of SPAA due to the amount of machine gun coverage. Low flying aircraft can be damaged or shotdown if enough shots hit.
- Tank is cramped, a shot can take out many crew members at once.
- Turret rotation is very slow.
- No ammunition with HE filler.
- Large and tall, making it an easy target.
- All the ammo are packed into neat little boxes in the bottom of hull, a shot at suspension area could set one off.
- 7 machine guns is of questionable value against all but the lightest armoured vehicles.
- Very thin roof armour of 9.5 mm.
- Past the front, the overall tank surface is poorly sloped and angled.
- Tall center of gravity, resulting in very unstable turns at high speeds, and at risk of tipping.
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the ground vehicle in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too big, take it to a separate article, taking a link to an article about the vehicle and adding a block "/historical reference" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/Name-vehicles/historical reference) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to include links to sources at the end of the article.
An excellent addition to the article will be video guides, as well as screenshots from the game and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example,
- reference to the series of the vehicles;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- other literature.