Luftvärnskanonvagn 42 (English: anti air cannon wagon 42), or lvkv 42 for short, is a rank IV Swedish self-propelled anti-aircraft vehicle with a battle rating of 5.0 (AB) and 4.3 (RB/SB). It was introduced in Update 1.97 "Viking Fury". Number 42 in its name indicates that it is the second "lvkv"-SPAA that uses 40 mm weaponry (4 = 40 mm, 2 = 2nd).
The lvkv 42 was developed by the Swedish arms manufacturer Bofors on request from the Swedish army as a 1950s next generation Swedish SPAA following the 1940s limited production lvkv fm/43 SPAA. Two prototypes based on a new original chassis-design were built and delivered for testing late December 1953 and early January 1954 respectively after various delays. In the end the project was scrapped as SPAAs with integrated radars became more necessary.
Survivability and armour
Describe armour protection. Note the most well protected and key weak areas. Appreciate the layout of modules as well as the number and location of crew members. Is the level of armour protection sufficient, is the placement of modules helpful for survival in combat? If necessary use a visual template to indicate the most secure and weak zones of the armour.
|Armour||Front (Slope angle)||Sides||Rear||Roof|
|Hull||___ mm|| ___ mm Top
___ mm Bottom
|___ mm||___ - ___ mm|
|Turret|| ___ - ___ mm Turret front
___ mm Gun mantlet
|___ - ___ mm||___ - ___ mm||___ - ___ mm|
|Cupola||___ mm||___ mm||___ mm||___ mm|
|Game Mode||Max Speed (km/h)||Weight (tons)||Engine power (horsepower)||Power-to-weight ratio (hp/ton)|
Modifications and economy
|40 mm lvakan m/48||Turret rotation speed (°/s)||Reloading rate (seconds)|
|Mode||Capacity (Belt)||Fire rate||Vertical||Horizontal||Stabilizer||Stock||Upgraded||Full||Expert||Aced||Stock||Full||Expert||Aced|
- Default: AP · HEFI-T
- slsgr m/36C: HEFI-T · HEFI-T · HEFI-T · AP
- slhpgr m/43: SAPHEI · SAPHEI · SAPHEI · HEFI-T
|Belt||Penetration @ 0° Angle of Attack (mm)|
|10 m||100 m||500 m||1,000 m||1,500 m||2,000 m|
|13||__ (+__)||__ (+__)||__ (+__)||__ (+__)||__ (+__)||__ (+__)||__|
Usage in battles
Describe the tactics of playing in the vehicle, the features of using vehicles in the team and advice on tactics. Refrain from creating a "guide" - do not impose a single point of view but instead give the reader food for thought. Describe the most dangerous enemies and give recommendations on fighting them. If necessary, note the specifics of the game in different modes (AB, RB, SB).
Pros and cons
- Good penetration, excellent Swedish 40 mm performance can make quick work of enemy light tanks as well as medium units if utilized correctly!
- Very fast turret traverse and elevation rate (can reach 70°/s with an aced crew)
- Stock belt alternates between AP and HE every other round, making it a very effective all-purpose belt
- 240 RPM, only the Ostwind and AMX-13 DCA 40 is on par with the fire rate
- Very nimble, its agility can get you safely around the battlefield
- Paper thin armour, very easy to be disabled or entirely knocked out by incoming HMG fire
- Low ammo storage, quickly runs out of ammunition when engaging several threats
- Along with the poor armour, the turret crew's heads are visible - making them easy targets for enemy machine gun fire
- SAPHEI belt has lower penetration than the HE and stock belts, but has more post-penetration damage
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the vehicle in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the vehicle and adding a block "/History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Vehicle-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref></ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article with
<references />. This section may also include the vehicle's dev blog entry (if applicable) and the in-game encyclopedia description (under
=== In-game description ===, also if applicable).
- Other vehicles of similar configuration and role
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- other literature.
|Strv 103||Strv 103-0 · Strv 103A · Strv 103С|
|Tank Destroyers||SAV 20.12.48 · Bkan 1C|
|See Also||BAE Systems AB|
|*Saab Bofors Dynamics|
|Sweden anti-aircraft vehicles|
|SPAA||Pvlvv fm/42 · Lvtdgb m/40 · Pbv 301 · Lvkv 42|
|Radar SPAA||VEAK 40 · Lvkv 9040C|
|SAM||Lvrbv 701 · ASRAD-R|
|Finland||L-62 ANTI II · ▄ZSU-57-2 · ItO 90M · ItPsV 90|