Lorraine 155 Mle.50
15 km/h back54 km/h forward
14 km/h backSpeed
The Lorraine automoteur de 155 mm modèle 1950 (shortened as Lorraine 155 Mle.50) is a gift rank III French tank destroyer with a battle rating of 4.3 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced in Update 1.77 "Advancing Storm" during the 2018 World War Two Chronicles.
Survivability and armour
The Lorraine 155 Mle.50 has very little armour (although some are sloped enough to deflect certain low-rank rounds), and can generally be penetrated by most guns of its rank. Even worse, however, the 'casemate' (if it can even be called that) has very little armour, and in some places can be shot through with machine guns. The machine-gunner (operating the 151) is completely open to the elements. Generally, you want to rely on good map placement and mobility, rather than armour.
- Rolled homogeneous armour
- Structural steel
|Armour||Front (Slope angle)||Sides||Rear||Roof|
|Hull|| 16 mm (70°) Front glacis
16 mm (2-73°) Transmission housing
|16 mm||10 mm (0-42°)||10 mm|
|Superstructure|| 16 mm (21°) Front
10 mm Gun shield
| 16 mm (30°) Right side
16 mm (21-48°) Left side
|10 mm||10 mm|
- Suspension wheels are 10 mm thick while tracks, sprocket wheels, torsion bars, and return rollers are 20 mm thick.
- Belly armour is 10 mm thick.
- Gun Breach is 300mm thick, while the barrel itself is 25mm.
- Gun Carriage around the gun is 20mm thick, while the gun mount/traverse device is 40mm thick.
|Weight (tons)|| Add-on Armour
|Max speed (km/h)|
|Engine power (horsepower)|
|Power-to-weight ratio (hp/ton)|
|155 mm L'Obusier de 155 Modèle 1950|
|Turret rotation speed (°/s)|
|Mode||Stock||Upgraded||Prior + Full crew||Prior + Expert qualif.||Prior + Ace qualif.|
|Reloading rate (seconds)|
|Stock||Prior + Full crew||Prior + Expert qualif.||Prior + Ace qualif.|
|Ammunition|| Type of
|Penetration in mm @ 0° Angle of Attack|
|Ammunition|| Type of
Mass in kg
| Fuse delay
| Fuse sensitivity
| Explosive Mass in g
| Normalization At 30°
Mass in kg
| Screen radius
| Screen time
| Screen hold time
| Explosive Mass in g|
|30||29 (+1)||27 (+3)||23 (+7)||18 (+12)||15 (+15)||9 (+21)||6 (+24)||1 (+29)||No|
- Recommended ammo load: 10. Keeps most ammunition in the floor and out of sponsons.
|20 mm MG151/20|
|Capacity (Belt capacity)|| Fire rate
| Horizontal |
Usage in battles
The best method of using the large-calibre weapon on the Loraine is to exploit the high-explosive power against thin-armour on the enemy. Like other large calibre HE tanks, shooting below an enemy vehicle will penetrate its belly armor. This is an effective, albeit difficult way to engage tanks whose armor is greater than what your HE shell can penetrate.
Some targets to keep in mind of, and their weak points:
- Tiger I - While seemingly a hard enemy to face, the Tiger is easily dispatched with a side shot. A hit to the roadwheels will penetrate the tank, with the shell fragments going through the thin armor on the underside of the tank's sponson. This is also possible to do to Tiger IIs, but usually results in much less damage done.
- Tiger II P, Panthers D and A - a hit to the bottom of the curved turret face of these tanks will cause the HE shell to pen the roof of the vehicle. This can also be done on tanks with flat turret fronts ( Tiger I, Tiger II H, Panthers G and F) by aiming for the lower half of the turret, but is not as reliable.
Pros and cons
- Powerful 155mm gun with a HE shell on-par with the KV-2's gun
- Pintle-mounted 20mm cannon that is deadly to lightly-armoured vehicles and aircraft
- Decent mobility
- Good reverse speed
- Thin armor with an open casemate, allows even rifle-calibre rounds to affect the crew
- Despite thin armor, it's thick enough to trigger most fuses in APHE shells
- Large profile
- Long reload time; increases if the loader is taken out
- If the machine-gunner is knocked out, so is the ability to use the 20mm cannon
- No AP shells, only HE shells
- Bad gun depression of 5°
Prototypes of the Lorraine 155 Mle.50 passed trials in 1950, but never reached production.
Skin and Camouflages for the Lorraine 155 Mle.50 in Warthunder Live.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the series of the vehicles;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
|France tank destroyers|
|AMR.35 ZT3 · SAu 40 · ARL-44 · CA Lorraine · Lorraine 155 Mle.50 · AMX-50 Foch · AMX-10RC|
|USA||▄3-inch Gun Motor Carriage M10|
|France premium ground vehicles|
|Light tanks||H.39 "Cambronne" · AMX-13 (SS.11)|
|Medium tanks||M4A1 (FL10) · Panther «Dauphine» · AMX-30 · AMX-30 Super|
|Heavy tanks||B1 ter|
|Tank destroyers||Lorraine 155 Mle.50|