The G-5 Type is a reserve rank I Soviet motor torpedo boat with a battle rating of 1.0 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced during Update 1.79 "Project X" when the Soviet fleet was implemented into the game. It has a single 12.7 mm DShK machine gun and carries two torpedos
Survivability and armour
The G-5 basically has no armour in its overall design, to the point where the only armour that lights up in the armour-viewer is the armoured glass at the bridge, an astounding 5 mm of it. As such, any small arms armament can penetration and cripple the modules and the two crew members.
Write about the ship’s mobility. Evaluate its power and maneuverability, rudder rerouting speed, stopping speed at full tilt, with its maximum forward speed and reverse speed.
The only gun on the G-5 is a single 12.7 mm DShK machine gun. It can destroy any motor torpedo boats and some larger boats if your lucky. You can research three different ammo belts for the 12.7 mm.
The G-5 carries two 533 mm 53-38 torpedos.
Usage in battles
As with any motor torpedo boat, it is best to keep moving since a few good shots from other boats can take you out. While the 12.7 mm mount is flexible for a 360 degree traverse, its elevation is restricted in front due to structure obstructions. As such, the 12.7 mm can only effectively fire from the sides and stern of the boat.
Pros and cons
- Machine gun can carry a surplus of ammunition
- Two torpedoes facing forwards, can help lead to incoming enemies
- Small profile can make it hard to hit from a distance, especially against large-calibre weapons that have a slow fire rate
- Basically no armour
- Armament cannot fire towards the front except at high elevations
- Machine gun armament has small belt of 50 rounds before reloading
- Front is filled with engines, center filled with other important parts and crew, enemies can easily prioritize targeting for elimination
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the ship in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too big, take it to a separate article, taking a link to an article about the vehicle and adding a block "/ History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Vehicle-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article.
An excellent addition to the article will be video guides, as well as screenshots from the game and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the series of the ship;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- encyclopedia page on ship;
- other literature.
|Motor torpedo boats||D-3 · G-5 · G-5 TKA 106 · Pr. 123bis · Pr. 123K (A-11) · Pr. 123K "Komsomolets" · Pr.183|
|Motor gun boats||G-5 (ShVAK) · MO-4 · OD-200 · Ya-5M|
|Motor torpedo gun boats||Pr. 206 · Pr. 206M · MPK pr. 12412|
|Armoured gun boats||BMO · MBK-161 (1943) · MBK-161 (1944) · MBK pr.186 · MBK pr.186 (MK 85) · Pr.1124 (1940) · Pr.1124 (1945) · Pr.1124 MLRS|
|Pr.191 · Pr.191M · Pr. 1204 · Pr. 1204 late|