|This page is about the American naval jet fighter F9F-8. For other uses, see F9F (Family).|
The F9F-8 Cougar is a rank VI American naval jet fighter with a battle rating of 8.3 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced in Update 1.63 "Desert Hunters".
Describe how the aircraft behaves in the air. Speed, manoeuvrability, acceleration and allowable loads - these are the most important characteristics of the vehicle.
| Max Speed
(km/h at 610 m)
| Max altitude
| Turn time
| Rate of climb
| Take-off run|
| Max Speed
(km/h at 610 m)
|Max altitude (meters)||Turn time (seconds)|| Rate of climb
|Take-off run (meters)|
|Combat flap||Take-off flap||Landing flap||Air brakes||Arrestor gear|
| Wing-break speed
| Gear limit
| Combat flap
|Max Static G|
|< 950||< 790||< 510||> ???|
|Optimal altitude||100% Engine power||WEP Engine power|
|0 m||3120 kgf||No WEP|
Survivability and armour
- 9.5 mm steel - in front of cockpit
- 8.5 mm steel - behind pilot
- 60 mm steel - armoured windscreen
The F9F-8 is armed with:
- 4 x AN/M3 20 mm cannon (190 RPG = 760 total)
The F9F-8 can be outfitted with the following ordnance:
- Without load
- 4 х 500 lb AN-M64A1 bombs (2,000 lb total)
- 2 х 1000 lb AN-M65A1 Fin M129 bombs (2,000 lb total)
- 4 х AIM-9B Sidewinder air-to-air missiles
Usage in battles
First of your objective when you purchase this plane is to research as fast as you can the 20 mm cannons modifications. The F9F-8 default cannons get jammed in a quick burst.
This said don’t expect to defeat MiG-15 and MiG-17A very easily. The F9F-8 performs great defensing maneuvers and can keep up in turns with the MiGs (beware that doesn’t have the great acceleration that MiGs have).
This is not an air superiority aircraft, its main purpose is to support ground vehicles and planes.
The best tactics if you are new to this plane is to fly it like a F9F-2 or F9F-5 so stay near some allies and give them support.
- Never roll too hard over 750 km\h (466 mph) or the wings will explode
- Never execute maneuvers over –2 G or the wings will explode
|II||New boosters||Airframe||Offensive 20 mm||FLBC mk.1|
|III||Wings repair||Engine||New 20 mm cannons|
Pros and cons
- Good bombload options
- Four 20 mm cannons can shred enemy aircraft and light ground targets
- Slightly better top speed than on the F9F Panther
- Can equip with AIM-9 Sidewinder guided missiles.
- Good roll rate over 800 km/h (497 mph)
- Faster than its predecessors
- Bad turn time overall; even the Hawker Hunter can turn tighter in some scenarios
- Top speed is not great, but is not terrible either
- Can't equip rockets
- Cannot turn over -2G.
- Rips very very easily in turns and rolls
- Not good at retaining energy, have to be very strict in order to keep it
- Poor acceleration
- Guns tend to jam quickly without New 20mms upgrade
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the aircraft in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too big, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the vehicle and adding a block "/ History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Vehicle-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article. This section may also include the vehicle's dev blog entry (if applicable) and the in-game encyclopedia description (under
=== Encyclopedia Info ===, also if applicable).
Excellent additions to the article would be video guides, screenshots from the game, and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the series of the aircraft;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
|USA jet aircraft|
|F-80||F-80A-5 Shooting Star · F-80C-10 Shooting Star|
|F-84||F-84B-26 Thunderjet · F-84G-21-RE|
|F-86||F-86A-5 Sabre · F-86F-25 Sabre · F-86F-2 Sabre · F-86F-35 Sabre|
|F9F||F9F-2 Panther · F9F-5 Panther · F9F-8 Cougar|
|Other||F3D-1 · F2H-2 Banshee · FJ-4B · FJ-4B VMF-232 · F-100D|
|B-57||B-57A Canberra · B-57B Canberra|