Difference between revisions of "F2H-2"
(→Usage in the battles)
|Line 107:||Line 107:|
! WEP Engine power
! WEP Engine power
| m || ||
<!--! colspan="3" | Setting 2
<!--! colspan="3" | Setting 2
Revision as of 00:03, 19 February 2019
The F2H-2 Banshee is a Rank V American naval jet fighter with a battle rating of 8.0. It was introduced in Update 1.45 "Steel Generals". The F2H-2 Banshee is a fantastic jet-fighter with great overall speed and good maneuverability. It is most recognized for its ability to remain stable even past its speed limit break (933 kph) and also for its fantastic high-altitude performance.
The Banshee is a very stable platform at HIGH speeds. Warning appears at 940 kph; but it can reach over a 1,000 kph and still not rip apart, if flown carefully and kept it in a straight line.
Two engines for redundancy. If one is taken out, the machine can still return to base safely. A good advantage to have, due the fragility of jet engine regarding bullet impacts.
| Max Speed
(km/h at 0 m - sea level)
| Max altitude
| Turn time
| Rate of climb
| Max Speed
(km/h at 0 m - sea level)
|Max altitude (meters)||Turn time (seconds)|| Rate of climb
|Take-off run (meters)|
|Combat flap||Take-off flap||Landing flap||Air brakes||Arrestor gear|
| Wing-break speed
| Gear limit
| Combat flap
|Max Static G|
|< 620||< 650||< 700||> 550|
|Optimal altitude||100% Engine power||WEP Engine power|
|0 m||1470 kgf||No WEP|
Survivability and armour
- No armour plating
- No armour glazing
- Critical components located at front of aircraft (fuel, pilot, engine, controls)
- More fuel tanks located in wings near fuselage
The F2H-2 is armed with:
- 4 x 20 mm AN/M3 cannon, nose-mounted (150 rpg = 600 total)
The F2H-2 can be outfitted with the following ordinance:
- Without load
- 8 x 127 mm HVAR rockets
- 4 x 250 lb AN-M57 bombs (1,000 lb total)
- 2 x 500 lb AN-M64A1 bombs (1,000 lb total)
Usage in the battles
The Banshee is first in the US naval jet lineup, and possesses many traits and characteristics that make it a fantastic start for jet players. Some tips to use it effectively are:
- Staying at a high altitude (side-climbing)
- Avoiding/evading higher-flying prop and jet planes (use "C" (default) to pan around you; this is extremely useful)
- Using Boom & Zoom or Boom & Run
- Upgrading your plane
In AB, the F2H is actually quite mediocre. Its high BR makes it liable to be put with superior jets such as the Me-262 (which has unlimited fuel, as is characteristic of AB) or the F-86 Sabre. However, an AB player can use the Banshee effectively by:
AB will initially be frustrating. The un-upgraded Banshee is a very poor performer. Its cannons jam, it has a relatively poor climb rate, and acceleration is poor as well.
Once upgraded, however, the Banshee is a very effective and useful plane.
The F2H-2 is most effectively used as an energy fighter. It has great energy retention, turns well, and accelerates quite well once fully researched. However, the stock Banshee is terrible compared to super-props such as the Tempest Mk.II, F8F-1B, La-9, and others. Therefore, it is recommended to climb at the beginning of a match to at least 4-6 km. The Banshee performs extremely well at these altitudes. However, keep in mind that evasion of superior planes such as the F8F-1B or the MiG-15 is key. Once there, Boom & Zoom can be employed. Make sure your level speed is at least 300 mph due to the fact that the F2H-2 is extremely sluggish below that. However, low-speed stability coupled with an airbrake make the Banshee an extremely good prop-killer. SPEED IS YOUR FRIEND, as you can outrun most jets at your Battle Rating. It is also extremely hard to tear the Banshee's wings.
Unfortunately, like most other jets, modifications take a long while to grind. Go for anything that increases the Banshee's climb rate. Leave the cannon ammo belts alone because default has the most HE shells (besides Stealth), and research the New Cannons modification. It will markedly improve the terrible spread of the cannon.
The cockpit of the F2H-2 is fantastic- the bubble canopy provides good visibility, rearward and forward.
Even with good advantages as a starting jet fighter (if you went with the Naval Line of USA Fighters), it has some disadvantages going up against MiG-15's and MiG-17's. It can certainly outrun La-174's and La-15's with splendid ease, but it will never be able to outrun a MiG once it's on your tail. As for MiG-9's, they can't outrun the Banshee (if fully spaded, careful here) but can probably out-turn it if the MiG-9 pilot is properly trained and experienced.
Its main usage will be basically acting as a support fighter in EVERY situation, unless you are down-tiered and you are put against Ho-229's and Me-262's. In such a case, you can become an aggressive fighter and easily get three or more kills. Although, if you are put up against MiG-17's, MiG-15's and La-15's, best prepare yourself to side-climb and be behind your allies. Get some altitude, get some patience and get ready to take out baited MiG's that are either chasing Hunter's or Sabers, or an unfortunate bomber.
A good recommendation is that you should never go for IL-28's alone. Other recommendations is that you should never strap in rockets to this thing or bombs, unless you're in a squad and you all have the purpose of bombing points together. It is NOT recommended, either way. Another tip is to always try to hold your speed and REMEMBER to use your airbrakes when being tailed by a MiG.
|I||Fuselage Repair||Compressor||FSBC mk.5|
|II||New Boosters||Airframe||Offensive 20 mm|
|III||Wings Repair||Engine||FRC mk.2|
|IV||G-Suit||Cover||New 20 mm Cannons||FMBC mk.1|
- Compressor and Engine are always useful upgrades and all acceleration unlocks are top priority. Given the uniqueness of the AN/M3 armament New 20 mm cannons and G-Suit should be preferable tier 4 goals. The stock belts are better than any other type of ammo, due to more two times more HEFI-T inside of them, but for the improved cannons, they need to be researched, albeit that can wait past the G-Suit. To help with the maneuverability issues, boosters should be considered a priority as well.
Pros and cons
- Heavy Armament
- Very good energy retention
- Good acceleration, dive acceleration
- Good climb rate
- Good low speed stability and turn time
- Good performance at high altitudes (10,000 m)
- G-Suit module
- Cheap Repairs
- Stable Gun Platform
- Decent Roll Rate
- Landing hook for carriers
- Cannon jams quickly and are very inaccurate unless "new cannons" mod is activated
- Long takeoff run
- Slow roll rate
- Extremely poor stock model
- Not fast enough to effectively tail fast fighters
- Big wings, easy target for Soviet 37 mm cannon
- Due to battle rating of 8.0, it has a high tendency to get pitted against 9.0 jets that can outrun, outgun, and out climb it, making it a sitting duck unless an enemy pilot makes a grievous mistake
The Twin Engine F2H Banshee was a follow up to McDonnell's successful FH-1 Phantom. The two aircraft appear very similar. Primary differences include larger airframe, armament, and power-plants. The F2H Banshee was designed to become the Navy's next carrier born aircraft. Nearly 800 Banshees were built. The aircraft was quickly passed over by newer designs.
A majority of the F2H's service took place in the Atlantic and Mediterranean oceans. A few Banshees found their way to Korea with the Navy and Marines. VF 172 was deployed to Korea in August of 1951 and immediately saw action escorting B-29s. the Banshee saw limited fighter/bomber duty. The greatest role the F2H played was photo recon. Several aircraft were refurbished and sent to Canada were they saw limited service until the 1960's.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example,
- reference to the series of the aircraft;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- page on aircraft encyclopedia;
- other literature.
|USA jet aircraft|
|F-4||F-4C Phantom II|
|F-80||F-80A-5 Shooting Star · F-80C-10 Shooting Star|
|F-84||F-84B-26 Thunderjet · F-84G-21-RE|
|F-86||F-86A-5 Sabre · F-86F-25 Sabre · F-86F-2 Sabre · F-86F-35 Sabre|
|F-89||F-89B · F-89D|
|F9F||F9F-2 Panther · F9F-5 Panther · F9F-8 Cougar|
|Other||P-59A · F3D-1 · F2H-2 Banshee · FJ-4B · FJ-4B VMF-232 · F-100D|
|B-57||B-57A Canberra · B-57B Canberra|