Elco 77 ft PT-59
The Elco 77 ft PT-59 is a rank III American motor gunboat with a battle rating of 3.0 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced in Update 1.79 "Project X" as part of the fleet closed beta test.
Survivability and armour
The boat's hull and superstructure are made of wood (40 mm and 15 mm respectively), the Bofors L/60 Mk 3 cannons have a 9.52 mm shield and the hull-mounted AN-M2 machine guns have a 12.7 mm shield, the elevated AN-M2s don't have any gun shield.
Despite this lack of armor, the PT-59 has enough firepower to outmatch most boats at its Battle Rating(3.0), however engaging more than 2 boats at once without having friendly support isn't recommended, you should also be careful when going against armored gunboats and boats with much bigger crews.
The PT-59 is powered by 3 Packard V12 M2500 engines, It takes around 14 seconds to reach full speed (AB: 97 km/h, 60 mph)(RB: 72 km/h, 45 mph) and 18 seconds to stop, it takes 10 seconds to reach full speed in reverse (AB: -34 km/h, -21 mph)(RB -25 km/h, -16 mph), and a full 360 turn takes around 18 seconds in AB (around 24 seconds in RB).
The Bofors cannons takes around 10 seconds to do a full 360 degree turn, The bow cannon is limited to a 190 degree range and the cannon at the aft is limited to 280 degrees, the cannons overheat after firing for 15 to 17 second consecutively, the cannons become almost ineffective at ranges above 2Km(1.25Mi, 6560ft).
- Available Ammunition
- Universal: AP-T/HEFI-T/AP-T/HEFI-T (The Universal belt is the starting of ammunition , its pretty much good against anything but it may not be too good against armored gunboats.)
- 40mm HE clips: HEFI-T/HEFI-T/HEFI-T/AP-T (The HE clips is good against boats with little armor and planes.)
- 40mm AP clips: AP-T/HEFI-T/HEFI-T/HEFI-T (The AP clips is better suited to go against armored gunboats and harassing destroyers since the ammo may not be enough to take down a destroyer.)
The AN- M2 machine guns can fire until they run out of ammo, overall these are mostly used against smaller boats and planes, mostly ineffective at ranges above 1Km (0.62Mi, 3280ft).
- Available Ammunition
- Universal: API-T/AP/I/AP
- .50 AP belt: API-T/AP/AP/AP
- .50APIT belt: API-T/API-T/API-T/I
Usage in battles
Describe the technique of using this ship, the characteristics of her use in a team and tips on strategy. Abstain from writing an entire guide – don’t get try to provide a single point of view, but give the reader food for thought. Talk about the most dangerous opponents for this vehicle and provide recommendations on fighting them. If necessary, note the specifics of playing with this vehicle in various modes (AB, RB, SB).
Pros and cons
- The ships 12.7 mm machine guns can easily destroy lightly armoured ships
- The 2 x 40 mm Bofors guns are great for taking out other ships and can act as decent anti-aircraft guns as well
- Its speed allows it to quickly move from one area of the map to another, making it a great vehicle for ambushing larger, less nimble ships
- No armour leads to frequent incapacitations of modules and crew
- A smaller crew in combination with a small size leads to a lower survivability
- Threatened by dive-bombing aircraft
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the ship in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too big, take it to a separate article, taking a link to an article about the vehicle and adding a block "/ History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Vehicle-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article.
An excellent addition to the article will be video guides, as well as screenshots from the game and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the series of the ship;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- encyclopedia page on ship;
- other literature.
|Motor torpedo boats||58 ft PT-3 · 89 ft PT-810 · 94 ft PT-811 · Elco 77 ft PT-20 · Elco 80 ft PT-103 · Elco 80 ft PT-109 · Elco 80 ft PT-314 · Elco 80 ft PT-556|
|Elco 80 ft PT-565 · Higgins 78 ft PT-200 · Higgins 78 ft PT-71 · Higgins 81 ft PT-6|
|Motor gun boats||80 ft Nasty · Elco 77 ft PT-59 · PGH-2|
|Motor torpedo gun boats||Asheville (PGM-84) · LCS(L)(3)|