Do 217 N-1
|This page is about the aircraft Do 217 N-1. For other uses, see Do 217 (Disambiguation)|
- 1 Description
- 2 General info
- 3 Armaments
- 4 Usage in the battles
- 5 History
- 6 Media
- 7 Read also
- 8 Sources
The Dornier Do 217 N-1 is a Rank III German twin-engine heavy fighter with a battle rating of 3.7 (AB) and 3.3 (RB/SB). It was introduced in Update 1.29.
The Do 217 N-1 is a classic heavy fighter with tremendous firepower, but poor performance.
The Do 217 N-1 is a twin-engine fighter that can function as a ground attack aircraft (strafing enemy ground targets and/or using the bombs that it can carry) or be used as an interceptor (interceptor aircraft are planes that are used for anti-bomber roles).
| Max Speed
(km/h at 5,500 m)
| Max altitude
| Turn time
| Rate of climb
| Max Speed
(km/h at 5,500 m)
|Max altitude (meters)||Turn time (seconds)|| Rate of climb
|Take-off run (meters)|
|Combat flap||Take-off flap||Landing flap||Air brakes||Arrestor gear|
| Wing-break speed
| Gear limit
| Combat flap
|Max Static G|
|< 290||< 360||< 360||> 220|
|Optimal altitude||100% Engine power||WEP Engine power|
|5,000 m||3,000 hp||3,300 hp|
Survivability and armour
- 8.5 mm Steel - Fore-cockpit plate
- 8.5 mm Steel - Pilot's seat
- 50 mm Bulletproof Glass
- 8.5 mm Steel - Dorsal gunner's plate
- 5 mm Steel - Belly gunner's plate
- 8.5 mm Steel - Belly gunner's upper plate
- 5 mm Steel - Engine armor plate x 2
- 5 mm Steel - Aft plate
The Do 217 N-1 is armed with:
- 4 x 20 mm MG 151/20 cannon, chin-mounted (200 rpg = 800 total)
- 4 x 7.92 mm MG 17 machine gun, nose-mounted (1,000 rpg = 4,000 total)
The Do 217 N-1 can carry the following ordinance:
- 8 x 50 kg SC50JA bombs (400 kg total)
The Do 217 N-1 is defended by:
- 1 x 13 mm MG 131 machine gun, dorsal turret (500 rpg)
- 1 x 13 mm MG 131 machine gun, ventral turret (1,000 rpg)
Usage in the battles
The Do 217 N-1 is yet another "zerstörer" heavy fighter in the German tech tree. It is functionally a Do 217 J-2 with the MG FF/M cannons having been replaced with the faster firing, high velocity 20 mm MG 151/20 cannons. With that being said however, it has the exact same strengths and weaknesses as the J-2. That's to say it has an amazing armament for it's battle rating, but with the lack of manoeuverability and speed to use it effectively, especially in a dogfight.
The Do 217 N-1 should be treated like an even more polarized version of the BF-110 C-4, with an even bigger commitment to Boom and Zoom tactics since it has very poor manoeverability. That's means keeping a significant altitude superiority over your enemies is paramount to success, in order to dive on them and destroy them in a single pass before using the speed to climb back up to altitude where any potential enemies hopefully won't be able to follow you. Keep in mind however that the Do 217 N-1's battle rating is at 4.0 meaning you may be pitted against faster fighters (like the P-47 or the P39Q) that can catch up to you if they dive on you during a zoom climb, if they have an altitude advantage.
Never go head on with this plane because the heavy firepower of 4 x 20 mm MG 151/20 cannons and 4 x 7.92 mm MG 17 machine guns will shred any plane head on and it is very hard to pilot snipe this plane frontally as there is a lot of bulletproof glass and armor protecting the pilot. If you encounter a Do 217 N-1 attack it from above, behind or below the aircraft.
Manual Engine Control
|Controllable||Not controllable||Not controllable||Not controllable||Separate||Not ontrollable||Not controllable|
|I||Fuselage Repair, Radiator||Offensive 7 mm|
|II||Compressor||Airframe||New 7 mm MGs, Turret 13 mm|
|III||Wing repair, Engine||Offensive 20 mm, New 13 mm MGs (turret)|
|IV||Engine Injection||Cover||New 20 mm Cannons|
Pros and cons
- Very heavy armament for it's BR which is all nose mounted.
- Rigid construction that can take a lot of punishment from machine gun fire.
- Decent defensive armament consisting of 2 13mm MG 131 turret, with a reasonable coverage.
- Improved ballistic performance of the 20mm MG 151 over the FF/M allows for firing both the Machine guns and cannons at the same time and hit the target.
- Very good at head on attacks.
- Poor climb rate.
- Poor acceleration.
- Poor manoeuverability.
- Poor energy retention.
- It's poor flight performance makes it thoroughly difficult to effectively combat other fighters.
- Poor roll rate.
- Easily compresses surface controls at high speeds.
The Dornier Do 217 is a multi-role aircraft (Bomber, Reconnaissance aircraft, night Fighter) built for the Luftwaffe during World War 2. It is very similar to many previous Dornier built bombers like the Dornier Do 17 in its 'Flying Pencil' shape and fuselage. Overall 1,925 Dornier Do 217s were made as well as many variants. The Do 217 J and Do 217 N variants were mainly used as night fighters to deal with the RAF nightly bombing raids. The rest of the variants would be used as bombers or reconnaissance aircraft depending on which mission they would be on.
An excellent addition to the article will be video guides, as well as screenshots from the game and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example,
- reference to the series of the aircraft;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- page on aircraft encyclopedia;
- other literature.
|Germany twin-engine fighters|
|Messerschmitt||Bf 110 C-6 · Bf 110 C-7 · Bf 110 F-2 · Bf 110 G-2 · Bf 109 Z|
|Me 410 A-1 · Me 410 A-1/U2 · Me 410 A-1/U4|
|Me 410 B-1 · Me 410 B-1/U2 · Me 410 B-2/U4 · Me 410 B-6/R3|
|Heinkel||He 219 A-7|
|Dornier||Do 17 Z-7 · Do 217 J-1 · Do 217 J-2 · Do 217 N-1 · Do 217 N-2|
|Do 335 A-0 · Do 335 A-1 · Do 335 B-2|
|Focke-Wulf||Ta 154 A-1|
|Junkers||Ju 88 C-6 · Ju 388 J|