|This page is about the aircraft B-17E. For other uses, see B-17 (Disambiguation)|
The B-17E Flying Fortress is a Rank III American heavy bomber bomber with a battle rating of 5.3 (AB), 5.0 (RB), and 5.7 (SB). It was in the game since the start of the Open Beta Test prior to Update 1.29.
| Max Speed
(km/h at 7,680 m)
| Max altitude
| Turn time
| Rate of climb
| Max Speed
(km/h at 7,680 m)
|Max altitude (meters)||Turn time (seconds)|| Rate of climb
|Take-off run (meters)|
|Combat flap||Take-off flap||Landing flap||Air brakes||Arrestor gear|
| Wing-break speed
| Gear limit
| Combat flap
|Max Static G|
|< 360||< 300||< 323||> 210|
|Optimal altitude||100% Engine power||WEP Engine power|
|6,180 m||4,000 hp||4,708 hp|
Survivability and armour
- 6.35 mm Steel plate behind nose gunner.
- 6.35 mm Steel plates behind pilots.
- 6.35 mm Steel plates behind dorsal gunners.
- 6.35 mm Steel plates in front of beam gunners.
- 6.35 mm Steel plates in front of tail gunner.
- 38 mm Bulletproof glass in front of tail gunner.
- 38 mm Bulletproof glass ball turret.
The B-17E can be outfitted with the following ordinance:
- 8 x 500 lb AN-M64A1 bombs (4,000 lb total)
- 12 x 500 lb AN-M64A1 bombs (6,000 lb total)
- 6 x 1000 lb AN-M65A1 bombs (6,000 lb total)
- 2 x 2000 lb AN-M66A2 bombs (4,000 lb total)
The B-17E is defended by:
- 1 x 7.62 mm Browning machine gun, nose turret (500 rpg)
- 2 x 12.7 mm M2 Browning machine gun, front dorsal turret (500 rpg = 1,000 total)
- 1 x 12.7 mm M2 Browning machine gun, rear dorsal turret (500 rpg)
- 1 x 12.7 mm M2 Browning machine gun, 2 x beam turret (400 rpg = 800 total)
- 2 x 12.7 mm M2 Browning machine gun, ventral turret (500 rpg = 1,000 total)
- 2 x 12.7 mm M2 Browning machine gun, tail turret (500 rpg = 1,000 total)
Usage in the battles
The B-17E Flying Fortress is intended to be used as a high-altitude level bomber in order to target airfields, bases, and land fortifications. Despite its large bomb load, it's not recommended to target moving ground units, such as tanks or armored cars, especially when they are travelling in tight columns due to the inaccuracy of your bombs at high altitudes and the ability for the AI on the ground to perform evasive maneuvers when bombs are falling onto their position. When using the B-17E, it is best to fly with another friendly bomber or fighter (if possible) to ensure maximum protection. If you are flying alone, design a secure flight path towards your objective in hopes of not being detected by enemy fighters.
The B-17E is designed specifically to withstand the harshest punishment during combat. The bomber itself provides plenty of armor along the fuselage and tail except for the nose, which is the only area that's not protected by any form of protection. Armor ranges from 6.35 mm sheets to a single 38 mm glass plate protecting the tail gunner. Speaking of armor protection, in order to ensure the greatest chance of survival during an interception, you must not move. The B-17E is not designed to execute sharp defensive maneuvers (turns, dives, and rolls), but rather designed to use its defensive armament provided (consisting of 12.7 mm and 7.62 mm turrets) to fight back against harassing enemy fighters. Some great advice for novice bombardiers is to included incendiary ammunition in your turret belts almost ALWAYS! This crucial precaution will guarantee more lethal firepower coming from your defensive armament, since not only are you penetrating armor, but you are also setting components ablaze.
In conclusion, the B-17E is a great introduction for players using the American bomber line. If used well, the B-17E is a force be reckoned with.
Manual Engine Control
|Controllable||Controllable||Not controllable||Controllable||Combined||Controllable||Not controllable|
As a slow and lumbering heavy bomber the Flying Fortress relies entirely on its turrets for defense. Without it the plane is a pinata. Thus Protective vests should be the first unlock. Further survivability upgrades will make fending of attacks easier, but do not think to stand successfully against enemy fighters. So upgrading the bomb load should be second priority. Performance modules can be considered least necessary, it will not go anywhere quick anyway.
|I||Fuselage Repair||Radiator||Turret 7 mm|
|II||Compressor||Airframe||New 7 mm MGs (turret)||LBC-17|
|III||Wings Repair||Engine||Turret 12 mm||SBC-17|
|IV||Engine Injection||Cover||New 12 mm MGs (turret)||MBC-17|
Pros and cons
- Large bomb load.
- Heavy defensive armament.
- Multiple engines (preserves speed when damaged).
- Very sturdy fuselage able to soak up heavy damage.
- Calibers below 12.7 mm are ineffective against it.
- Good speed.
- Defensive armaments provide all around coverage.
- Performs well at high altitudes.
- Cumbersome target.
- Poor climb rate.
- Nose is extremely vulnerable.
- Cannons are very effective against it.
- Multiple engines mean multiple fires.
- Sluggish controls and very difficult to maneuver.
- Wings are large and vulnerable.
- Low speed.
- Weak against 20 mm cannons.
Describe the history of the creation and combat usage of the aircraft in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too big, take it to a separate article, taking a link to an article about the vehicle and adding a block "/ historical reference" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/Name-vehicles/historical reference) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to include links to sources at the end of the article.
An excellent addition to the article will be video guides, as well as screenshots from the game and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example,
- reference to the series of the aircraft;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- page on aircraft encyclopedia;
- other literature.
|Dive||SB2U-2 · SB2U-3 · SBD-3 Dauntless · SB2C-1c Helldiver · SB2C-4 Helldiver|
|Torpedo||TBD-1 Devastator · PBY-5 Catalina · PBY-5a Catalina · TBF-1C Avenger · BTD-1 Destroyer|
|Medium||B-10B · B-18A · B-34 · PV-2D Harpoon · B-25J-1 Mitchell · B-25J-20 Mitchell · A-26C-45 Invader · A-26C-45DT|
|Heavy||B-17E Flying Fortress · B-17E Flying Fortress /Late · B-17G-60-VE Flying Fortress · PB4Y-2 Privateer · B-24D-25-CO Liberator · B-29A-BN Superfortress|