Active protection systems
Update "Wind of Change" added active protection systems (APS) to ground vehicles. These devices provide automatic defense against ATGMs. While it is possible to shoot down incoming ATGMs manually, particularly using machine guns, this can be difficult against fast-moving or minimally visible missiles; thus, active protection systems provide an extra layer of security against ATGM threats. There are two categories of APS:
- A softkill system will not destroy the incoming projectile, but disturb its guiding system so that it will miss the target.
- A hardkill system tries to detect and destroy the projectile itself by firing a defensive charge at the incoming projectile.
Electro-optical APS (also known as "soft-kill APS" or "infrared countermeasures" (IRCM)) are a group of active protection systems that utilise light emitters to disrupt the guidance of incoming missiles.
Electro-optical APS acts on SACLOS-guided missiles that do not feature an electronic counter-countermeasure (ECCM) system:
- 3M7 (IT-1)
- 9M14-2 Malyutka-2 (IAR 316B)
- 9M17M Falanga (Mi-4AV, Mi-24A)
- 9M112 (T-64B, T-80B)
- 9M113 (BMP-1, SPz BMP-1, BMP-2)
- 9M114 Shturm (Shturm-S/Russian helicopters)
- 9M120 Ataka (Mi-35M, Mi-28N)
- 9M120F-1, 9M220O (Shturm-S)
- 9M311, 9M311-1M (2S6)
- 302 (Object 122MT "MC")
- ACRA (AMX-30 ACRA)
- AGM-12B Bullpup (H-34)
- AGM-22 (UH-1B, UH-1C)
- AS.11/SS.11, RB 52
- BAe Swingfire (Swingfire, Striker)
- BGM-71A TOW/RB 55, BGM-71B TOW/RB 55B, BGM-71C I-TOW
- Fireflash (Swift F.7)
- HJ-8A/C/E/H (Chinese helicopters)
- HJ-73E (ZBD86)
- HOT-3 (EC-665 Tiger HAD, HAP, UHT)
- Kh-66 (MiG-21PFM)
- MGM-51B (M551, M60A2)
- MGM-51C (XM-803, MBT-70, KPz-70)
- MILAN/MILAN 2
- RB 53 Bantam (HKP3C)
- Roland 1/2/3 (FlaRakPz 1, Roland 1, FlaRakRad)
- Type 79, Type 79 ASM (Type 89)
- VT1 (FlaRakRad, ItO 90M)
Missiles that utilise a different guidance system (e.g. MCLOS, laser, TV) as well as SACLOS missiles with ECCM will be unaffected by the operation of an electro-optical system.
Vehicles equipped with AN/VLQ-8A:
(Multifunktionales Selbstschutz-System, English: Multifunction Self Protection System)
Vehicles equipped with MUSS:
Vehicles equipped with Shtora-1:
Vehicles equipped with JD-3:
Vehicles equipped with EIREL:
Vehicles equipped with AMAP-ADS:
Drozd is a constantly active APS which provides protection against a wide variety of threats. It is composed of three major pieces: a Doppler radar array for target detection, charge launchers on the sides of the turret, and an electronics piece on the turret's rear. It detects targets in front and engages them inside a 7 m distance. The main disadvantage of this system is that it follows the direction of the turret, meaning it can only successfully destroy targets that in the line of sight.
Drozd can be used while on the move (although the turret must be facing the target as stated before). While on the move (especially horizontally), the detected ATGM has a risk of escaping the activation range of the Drozd. When moving towards an enemy who fired an ATGM, it will be affected by the APS but due to momentum, the ATGM can still damage the tank even when destroyed. Drozd must have a clear line-of-sight with the enemy threat (at least APS must be exposed).
Vehicles equipped with Drozd:
Iron Fist uses an AESA radar to find projectiles fired towards the vehicle and shoots an explosive interceptor to deflect or destroy it.
Vehicles equipped with Iron Fist:
Vehicles equipped with Trophy: