1 backGear box
|This page is about the medium tank AMX-50. For other uses, see AMX-50 (Disambiguation)|
The AMX-50 is a Rank IV French medium tank with a battle rating of 7.0 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced in Update 1.75 "La Résistance". If features the same armament (and turret) as the Lorraine 40t on a more robust chassis, similar to that of the AMX M4, in sum, it is a fusion of the former's firepower and the latter's mobility and protection. It is the logical next step to the French rank IV medium tech tree.
The lower part resembles that of a Panther's hull with its overlapping metal road wheels, its two large fans over the engine deck, its sloped front and back armour and its high profile. There are a few things that distinguishes it from its predecessor: there is not longer a "flat" portion between the LFP and UFP and the two fan casings have been removed. As for the turret, it is quite a classical post-war French design: an oscillating turret fitted with an auto-loader mechanism, a long gun and turret bulge and a thick turret ring.
This tank's hull is very similar to that of the famous German medium tank, even in armour values. It is only slightly weak from the side, making angling quite ineffective. This armour should be able to deflect incoming shots from the weaker tanks it may encounter at its BR spread, notably the famous Russian 85mm D-5T. With its good slope, it can easily deflect APCR shots. The only thing wrong with this tank is its turret: it is very weak to incoming shots, with only 45mm sloped at 52°, it is a bit weaker than a T-34's hull. The only way to avoid being taken down too easily is to increase distance between the AMX-50 position and the enemy. Don't worry on that: the 100 mm gun is suited for that purpose.
The SA47 L/58 is a very potent gun for a rank IV tank: it performs in a similar way to the Russian 100mm D-10T equipped on the T-54 series. While not having any -HE filler in their AP rounds, the French engineers somehow managed to optimize armour spalling on penetrating shots and muzzle velocity, making these shells very good at long-range engagements. This gun is also mounted with an auto-loader, which provides it with a solid 6.67 seconds reload time. Not happy yet ? It has good gun depression and a fast turret traverse, which enables this tank to react quickly to flankers and take solid hulled-down position, its high gun placement minimizes the tank's silhouette behind hills.
While not being a the fastest tank, it certainly is capable of many feats of agility. As mentioned in the AMX M4's article, this tank may be the slowest French rank IV tank, which is not a bad thing considering French tank's general dynamic game-play at this BR. "Don't put the tank in nasty front-line situations" is the best advice to follow with this tank. As it is, this 800+ HP engine should be able to carry the tank to any location in a good time.
Survivability and armour
- Rolled homogeneous armour (Hull, Turret roof)
- Cast homogeneous armour (Turret)
|Armour||Front (Slope angle)||Sides||Rear||Roof|
|Hull|| 80 mm (55°) Front glacis
35 mm (61°) Lower glacis
60 mm (39°) Front cheeks
| 40 mm (24°) Top
40 mm Bottom
| 40 mm (0-30°)
30 mm (30°) Transmission hatch
|Turret|| 45 mm (39-56°) Turret front
30 mm (9-26°) Turret base
50 mm (7-82°) Barrel shroud
| 30 mm (0-55°) Turret
30 mm (0-25°) Turret base
| 30 mm (0-30°) Turret bustle
30 mm (6-22°) Pivot ball
20 mm (69-90°) Turret underside
|Cupola||30 mm||20 mm|
- Suspension wheels and tracks are 20 mm thick. Suspension wheels are interleaved and can double in some areas.
- Tracks 20 mm thick hang on the hull sides at the crew compartment area.
- Hull undersides above tracks are 20 mm thick.
- Belly armour is 20 mm thick.
|Weight (tons)|| Add-on Armour
|Max speed (km/h)|
|Engine power (horsepower)|
|Power-to-weight ratio (hp/ton)|
|100 mm SA47 L/58|
|Turret rotation speed (°/s)|
|Mode||Stock||Upgraded||Prior + Full crew||Prior + Expert qualif.||Prior + Ace qualif.|
|Reloading rate (seconds)|
|Stock||Prior + Full crew||Prior + Expert qualif.||Prior + Ace qualif.|
|Ammunition|| Type of
|Penetration in mm @ 90°|
|100 mm Obus de rupture||APCBC||295||293||279||263||248||233|
|100 mm Obus explosif||HE||22||22||21||20||20||20|
|Ammunition|| Type of
Mass in kg
| Fuse delay
| Fuse sensitivity
| Explosive Mass in g
| Normalization At 30°
|100 mm Obus de rupture||APCBC||1,060||15||N/A||N/A||N/A||°||48°||63°||71°|
|100 mm Obus explosif||HE||1,000||15||0.1||0.5||1,400||+0°||79°||80°||81°|
|50||49 (+1)||44 (+6)||37 (+13)||30 (+20)||23 (+27)||16 (+34)||12 (+38)||7 (+43)||1 (+49)||no|
Turret empty: 44 (+6)
|7.5 mm MAC 31|
|Capacity (Belt capacity)|| Fire rate
| Horizontal |
Usage in the battles
This medium tank performs good in its role, being versatile enough to take many battlefield roles: flanker, sniper and ambusher. The only thing it is insufficient at is absorbing damaging shots: there are too many weak spots on this tank to take anything bigger than HMG to the front. Don't stay too close to the front line since the reverse speed will not allow the tank to escape sufficiently fast and flanking maneuvers will make the weak sides vulnerable.
Pros and cons
- High penetration 100mm main gun with an auto-loader!
- Amazing conical spread from stock APCBC shells. They are free and frontal hits will be deadly.
- High top speed (57 kph)
- MAC 31 coaxial MG
- Fast turret rotation speed
- Sloped frontal armour can bounce some lower rank guns and APCR
- Very maneuverable
- Great flanker
- Higher velocity than the Russian 100mm D-10T gun, easier to aim at range.
- Has 5 crew members
- Wide tracks: able to cross all sorts of terrain with good speed.
- Overlapping wheels provide extra 20 mm to the hull's lower side.
- Armour will not protect the tank from rank 4/5 guns
- No explosive filler in shells, one hit KOs from the side are rare.
- One choice of shell. No APHE, no HEAT, no APDS/FS.
- Less penetration than the Russian 100 mm APCBC, with less post penetration damage.
- Same turret as the Lorraine 40t: only 45mm thick
- Elevation angle is only 15°: it sometimes is a problem.
- Gun elevation speed is slow due to oscillating turret design.
- Large, Panther-like hull, hard to hide.
- Incapacitated loader will disable this tank from shooting its coaxial MG.
- Weak LFP
An excellent addition to the article will be video guides, as well as screenshots from the game and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example,
- reference to the series of the vehicles;
- links to approximate analogues of other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- other literature.
|France medium tanks|
|S.35 · Lorraine 40t|
|AMX||AMX-30 · AMX-30 (1972) · AMX-30B2 · AMX-30B2 BRENUS · AMX-40 · AMX-50 · AMX M4 · AMX-10RC|
|Based on M4||▄M4A1 Sherman · Sherman M4A1 tourelle FL10 · M4A4 (SA50)|