The AMX-10RC is a rank VI French light tank with a battle rating of 8.0 (AB/RB/SB). It was introduced in Update 1.85 "Supersonic".
Survivability and armour
The AMX-10 is considered a light tank, it has minimal armour protection. Some of the areas of this tank can survive up to a 20 mm autocannon, but can't survive anything more than that. The crew members are grouped very close together, meaning that APFSDS at this battle rating will take them out with ease. Even if that doesn't destroy the tank, there are ammunition racks stored everywhere, which can be detonated by spalling.
|Armour||Front (Slope angle)||Sides||Rear||Roof|
|Hull||35 mm (54-79°) Upper glacis
45 mm (40-76°) Lower glacis
50mm (spherical) Drivers port
12mm (74°) Screen (raised when amphibious)
|25 mm Top
20 mm Bottom
|25 mm (25°)||25 mm hull
10 mm engine
|Turret||42 mm Turret cheeks
65 mm (40° rounded) Gun mantlet
|42 mm sides
20 mm turret ring
|25 mm||25 mm|
|Game Mode||Max Speed (km/h)||Weight (tons)||Engine power (horsepower)||Power-to-weight ratio (hp/ton)|
The AMX-10RC has decent mobility when not upgraded, faster than most tanks but not as fast as wheeled vehicles like the B1 Centauro. It is the only wheeled non wheel steering tank in game, it has a tank steering (on its own axis), making it able to have neutral steering compared to other wheeled vehicles which turn one or two pairs of wheels to turn, like the Centauro. It has a superb speed when on road (as it is a wheeled vehicle) but somewhat lacks speed when on off-road (as it is a wheeled vehicle). Using the hydro-pneumatic suspension can help on lowering the center of mass of the vehicle, increasing acceleration, neutral steering speed and normal steering speed (physics).
Modifications and economy
The AMX-10RC has a 105 mm/47 F2 BK MECA gun, similar to the 105 mm guns found in the AMX-30's. The gun is a medium pressure gun, meaning it has a relatively high muzzle velocity. It has access to both HEATFS and APFSDS ammunition, one of the two vehicles at the battle rating with access to APFSDS and one of the two to have thermal sights, making the 10RC a competitive long range sniper. It also has access to a laser rangefinder.
|105 mm Modele F2||Turret rotation speed (°/s)||Reloading rate (seconds)|
|Ammunition|| Type of
|Penetration @ 0° Angle of Attack (mm)|
|10 m||100 m||500 m||1,000 m||1,500 m||2,000 m|
|OCC 105 F3||HEATFS||350||350||350||350||350||350|
|OE 105 F3||HE||25||25||25||25||25||25|
|OFL 105 F3||APFSDS||325||321||318||316||308||303|
|Ammunition|| Type of
| Fuse delay
| Fuse sensitivity
| Explosive Mass
(TNT equivalent) (g)
|OCC 105 F3||HEATFS||1,120||5.65||0.05||1||1,020||65°||72°||77°|
|OE 105 F3||HE||800||7.1||0.1||0.1||2,000||79°||80°||81°|
|OFL 105 F3||APFSDS||1,400||3.8||N/A||N/A||N/A||78°||80°||81°|
|Smoke shell characteristics|
| Screen radius
| Screen deploy time
| Screen hold time
| Explosive Mass|
(TNT equivalent) (g)
|38||17 (+21)||14 (+24)||10 (+28)||5 (+33)||1 (+37)||No|
- Shells are modeled individually and disappear after having been shot or loaded.
- Racks 2, 3, 4 and 5 are first stage ammo racks. They total 16 shells and get filled first when loading up the tank.
- These 4 racks are also emptied first when firing: the rack depletion order at full capacity is: 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 1.
- Simply not firing when the gun is loaded will move ammo from rack 1 into racks 5 then 4, 3 and 2. Firing will interrupt the restocking of the ready racks.
|7.62 mm A-A-F1N|
|Mount||Capacity (Belt)||Fire rate||Vertical||Horizontal|
Usage in battles
The AMX-10RC should be mainly be used as a support and sniper tank. Due to its lack of amour protection, taking the point in the spearhead of an assault would result in being knocked out. These are the three main roles it excels at:
Sniper: The AMX-10RC is one of the most capable sniping tank in the game, with its 325 mm penetrating APFSDS round. The access to APFSDS, thermal imagery, laser rangefinder and relatively high-zoom sights, make it one of the best long range engagement tanks, even exceeding other sniper vehicles such as the Centauro and the Leopard. The AMX-10RC has scouting ability, being able to mark tanks at distance so allies can take a shot without you exposing your position.
Scout: The AMX-10RC has scouting capabilities which can mark enemies at all ranges for allies. When concealed and scouting, only open fire at an enemy when there is a risk of them being able to knock you out. Otherwise, let your team take the enemies you have scouted to stay hidden.
Flanking: The high speed, acceleration, and powerful gun makes it perfect for flanking when in urban and rural maps, capable of destroying tanks in one or two shots before they react to the threat. Always do "Hit N' Run" when flanking. Strike, cripple or destroy, scout crippled tanks, leave. Use smoke if needed to cover your escape. Reverse will not be an issue as it has the same number of gears it uses to go forwards but backwards, making it capable of reaching ~40 km/h backwards if needed.
The little trick the AMX-10RC has: Hydro-pneumatic suspension. This feature gives the light tank superb terrain adaptation, making it capable of firing from terrain elevation greater than 10° (the depression of the main gun). Leaning the vehicle forward adds almost 30° of depression, allowing it to poke and fire from the most abnormal positions a normal tank would use. The AMX-10RC has a 3 axis hydro-pneumatic suspension, meaning it can lean forward and backwards (x axis), left and right (y axis), or raise and lower suspension (z axis). Decreasing ground clearance improves the vehicle's mobility (as center of mass is closer to the ground), improving acceleration, speed, neutral steering speed, moving steering and also reduces vehicle's profile.
Y axis inclination can not be used to poke over corners, it can be used to "normalize" the inclination when the vehicle is sideways on a cliff (see picture for reference).
Its incredible agility and mobility makes the AMX-10RC capable of moving side to side of a map faster than most of the vehicles at its BR. It should be noted that its thermal signature is relatively low compared to other vehicles at its br, making it less visible to vehicles with thermal imaging devices like the Centauro, Type 89, M3 Bradley, BMP-2, etc. It should be noted that the AMX-10RC has amphibious capabilities but the lack of gun stabilizer makes firing on the water nearly impossible. Use this capability to reach places on the map where people do not tend to go/scout (such as the island crossing the river in Kursk), hide from enemies (under Eastern Europe river bridges for example) or any map that this can be exploited, do not be afraid of water. It is slow in water (only reaches 7 km/h) but can be a decisive capability if the commander is patient.
Pros and cons
- 105 mm gun is on par with the medium tanks of its rank
- Available with a decent HEAT and is the first vehicle to unlock APFSDS rounds together with the T95E1
- Good top speed similar to one of a light tank, great for scouting the enemy team
- Access to thermal optics at a lower battle rating than most nations, great for spotting concealed enemies
- Immune to heavy machine guns to the front and beyond 100 meters to the sides
- Access to the scouting ability, great for a support role
- Hydropneumatic suspension, helps manage those ridgelines to expose as little of the vehicle as possible
- Thin armour much as with most armoured cars, very vulnerable to SPAAGs, aircraft, tanks with autocannons and chemical shells, with the latter being able to hull break the vehicle, destroying it instantly
- Gun is not stabilized, it will take a long time for the gun to settle to make a sniper shot
- Even though the vehicle is amphibious, it isn't recommended for one to engage while being in water as waves can have a massive impact on ones accuracy as the gun is not stabilized
- Very vulnerable in a city or other close quarters maps, as well as when caught in the open while moving
- Lack of any heavier machine gun than 7.62 mm; if using APFSDS primarily, that means it will often struggle when facing lightly armoured targets
- Poor acceleration and offroad capabilities; it will very rarely if at all reach its top speed in realistic and simulator battles
The AMX-10RC is a reconnaissance vehicle built by GIAT. It entered service in the year 1979, but the initial work on the vehicle began in the year 1970. It fought in 4 different wars, those being the Gulf War, Western Sahara War and in the Afghanistan War. It was also used in the Operation Serval. 284 of these vehicles were built for the French Army, which were later upgraded to the more advanced, RCR variant.
- Other vehicles of similar configuration and role
|France light tanks|
|AMD.35 · FCM.36 · R.35 (SA38) · Char 25t · AML-90 · E.B.R. (1954)|
|AMC||AMC.34 YR · AMC.35 (ACG.1)|
|AMX||AMX-10RC · AMX-13 · AMX-13 (FL11) · AMX-13-90 · AMX-13 (HOT) · AMX-13 (SS.11) · AMX-13-M24|
|Creusot-Loire Industrie||MARS 15|
|Hotchkiss||H.35 · H.39 · H.39 "Cambronne"|
|Foreign||▄Crusader Mk.II · ▄M3A3 Stuart|