Write an introduction to the article in 2-3 small paragraphs. Briefly tell us about the history of the development and combat using the weaponry and also about its features. Compile a list of air, ground, or naval vehicles that feature this weapon system in the game.
Vehicles equipped with this weapon
Tell us about the tactical and technical characteristics of the missile.
Like most sidewinders the missile features a 4.5 kg warhead that makes it an effective air-to-air missile. In general a direct hit will either destroy or mortally wound an enemy aircraft. If a near miss is achieved the damage will be sharply decreased.
Comparison with analogues
Give a comparative description of missiles that have firepower equal to this weapon.
Usage in battles
Describe situations when you would utilise this missile in-game (vehicle, pillbox, base, etc)
Pros and cons
- Decent track rate (16 degrees per second, for reference the AIM-9E has 12*/s)
- 20G overload at sea level
- Can lock from long distances (5 km+)
- Ineffective from 2 km firing range due to drag; planes outrun it
- Clouds interfere with the capability of the seeker
- Rear aspect
- Targets may still dodge it with certain maneuvers while pulling G forces
Examine the history of the creation and combat usage of the weapon in more detail than in the introduction. If the historical reference turns out to be too long, take it to a separate article, taking a link to the article about the weapon and adding a block "/History" (example: https://wiki.warthunder.com/(Weapon-name)/History) and add a link to it here using the
main template. Be sure to reference text and sources by using
<ref></ref>, as well as adding them at the end of the article with
Excellent additions to the article would be video guides, screenshots from the game, and photos.
Links to the articles on the War Thunder Wiki that you think will be useful for the reader, for example:
- reference to the article about the variant of the weapon;
- references to approximate analogues by other nations and research trees.
Paste links to sources and external resources, such as:
- topic on the official game forum;
- encyclopedia page on the weapon;
- other literature.