6,381 articles and growing thanks to your support!
The War Thunder Wiki is a community effort, only a WT forum account is required to join us
. We need YOU for this ultimate guide!
War Thunder is a next generation MMO combat game dedicated to World War II military aviation, armoured vehicles, and fleets.
Available for Windows, Linux, SteamOS, PS4 and Mac. System requirements for all systems.
Article of the month: August
When you absolutely have to ground pound the enemy team into submission, look no further to the American "Jug", the P-47D-28 Thunderbolt.
This aircraft, huge enough to make the state of Texas blush, is a Rank III strike fighter with a battle rating of 3.0 (AB), 4.3 (RB), and 4.0 (SB). It was initially designed as a escort fighter by Republic Aviation in 1942, but soon phased into a fighter-bomber role following the adoption of the P-51 Mustang.
Compared to its predecessor, the P-47D-28 can carry more gifts for its enemies in the form of 10 different payload options:
- 1 x 500 lbs AN-M64A1 bomb
- 2 x 1000 lbs AN-M65A1 bombs
- 2 x 1000 lbs AN-M65A1 bombs + 1 x 500 lbs AN-M64A1 bomb
- 10 x 127 mm HVAR rockets + 2 x 1000 lbs AN-M65A1 bombs + 1 x 500 lbs AN-M64A1 bomb
- 10 x 127 mm HVAR rockets + 1 x 500 lbs AN-M64A1 bomb
- 10 x 127 mm HVAR rockets + 3 x 500 lbs AN-M64A1 bombs
- 10 x 127 mm HVAR rockets + 2 x 1000 lbs AN-M65A1 bombs
- 10 x 127 mm HVAR rockets
- 6 x M8 rockets
- 6 x M8 rockets + 2 x 500 lbs AN-M64A1 bombs
Alternatively, the P-47D-28 could carry no payload and fight with Boom-&-Zoom tactics against enemy fighters, peppering them with its eight .50 cal (12.7 mm) machine guns in its wings until conflagration.
Continue reading for more details!
Featured historic article
By 1943 the Ilyushin Il-2 formed the main striking power of the Soviet Air Force, comprising almost one third of its combat strength. Tanks were a tough nut for the Shturmovik to crack though; bombs had to be placed very precisely, the 20mm ShVAK cannon of early aircraft were ineffective against armour and the 23mm VYa cannon could penetrate only light armour. A more powerful gun was needed against the increasingly heavy German tanks being fielded.
Combat trials with Il-2s equipped with the 37mm ShFK cannons started in early 1943, but the guns proved unreliable and so the Nudelman/Suranov NS-37 cannon was selected instead for tank busting. With the cannon mounted under the wings, the Il-2-37 could not carry rockets, and the bomb load was reduced to just 200kg.
The NS-37 cannon is a very potent weapon in War Thunder against both air or ground targets and the generous 50 rounds each give the Il-2-37 plenty of opportunity to wreak havoc. Soft targets and light tanks are easily destroyed, whilst the weaker side and rear armour of medium tanks can be targeted, but heavy tanks and pillboxes are mostly resistant to cannon attack. Top armour is usually weak and can be hit in a steep diving attack, but don’t forget to leave enough altitude to safely pull out. The cannon has little effect on destroyers and larger ships but performs admirably against patrol boats. The Il-2-37 will undoubtedly be a useful asset in Naval forces combat.
Fire single shots, or at most short bursts, as pilots found the heavy recoil produced by the cannons made it difficult to hold them on target for a long burst. Because the guns are wing mounted, convergence (guns targeting distance) is important: set it to your preferred range (300-400m works well) and try and fire around that distance.
-Author: John "Zoso" Moore
Read the rest of the article here!
Did you know that...
- You are able to zoom into the minimap by moving your mouse cursor over the map and scrolling in? You need to assign the following settings to be able to do this: in control settings, make sure "show mouse cursor" is enabled.
- With 3000 rounds per minute, the American 20 mm M168 Vulcan gatling gun on the M163 Vulcan Air Defense System is the fastest firing weapon in the game?
- Pressing with the cursor on the map seen while pressing "M" will signal the team to pay attention to the specific sector?
- Different steel types exist for armour? Every metal has got its own modifier e.g. cast steel is only 90% as strong as rolled homogenes steel (which is the standard armour plate). All part of the damage mechanics.
- Reducing the vehicles ammo load, affects the ammo storage by making them smaller and once empty disappear. Empty Ammo Racks cannot be exploded and are literally empty space.
- Rockets can be shot down mid-air by gun fire?
- By binding a button to "Manual Engine Control" under the "Full Aircraft Control" tab in the controls menu, you can control the engine settings manually in RB and SB, even when using Mouse Aim controls and potentially achieve better performance.
- There is no cow level in War Thunder!
- The planes with the most weapons are the PBJ-1J and BV-238? The PBJ-1J has twelve offensive M2 Brownings in the nose and six Brownings in defensive turrets, while the BV-238 has sixteen 13mm MG131 machine guns and two MG151/20 cannons in defensive turrets.
- Torpedoes can destroy bridges too, if they hit the pillars.
- Further they can destroy tanks and floatplanes, if they're in the water.
- As most torpedoes travel at certain depths, they will detonate upon impact on shore. With a radius & penetration exceeding 30m and 300mm, killing tanks in the vicinity is possible for these swimming 270kg of pure Torpex explosives.
- Most bombs are general-purpose bombs (medium capacity) i.e. their pure explosive content is 50% of the bombs total wheight.
- Your aiming reticle in Arcade adjusts for the slowest bullet of your guns. Thus with the P-39 only one caliber (the slower 37mm, not faster 7.7mm) will hit in turn-fights.
Click me to read more!