4,809 articles and growing thanks to your support!
The War Thunder Wiki is a community effort, only a WT forum account is required to join us
. We need YOU for this ultimate guide!
War Thunder is a next generation MMO combat game dedicated to World War II military aviation, armored vehicles, and fleets.
Available for Windows, Linux, SteamOS, PS4 and Mac. System requirements for all systems.
Article of the month: May
Sherman VC Firefly
Royal Army's counter to the German Big Cats. This British Sherman sports the QF 17-pounder cannon. It is easily distinguishable by its very long gun barrel, a kin to the looks of the Panther tank.
This tank should be the supporting line in both offensive and defensive actions, providing flanking fire, long-range fire, or fast and accurate fire to the target while the heavy tanks take up the brunt of the defense. The tank is very mobile as a M4 Sherman, so picking up speed to get around the enemy is not hard. Those familiar with a M4 Sherman control will pick up on this tank very easily. While this tank is also capable of being the frontal attack unit for an assault, it is strongly advised that you do not, due to the low armor of the tank, necessitating the user to always get the first shot off first in an encounter, otherwise the enemy will be able to destroy you easily.
Shoot and scoot. Unless you’ve knocked out the gunner of the enemy tank you’re fighting, don’t expose yourself after firing, just get back into cover to reload. Once reloaded, preferably pop out of an area different from your last firing position and take another shot.
Featured historic article
Dear readers and valuable writers,
The Wiki staff are proud to announce our next big feature for our dear readers. After the addition of weapon tables to the wiki, which was our first attempt of displaying data mine information from in game files,turned out to such a success. We decided to focus on a much more difficult task, data mining flight models.
With this in mind we would like to present a major overhaul of the statistic cards and addition of piston-engine performance charts for all aircraft.
- Our new and improved info boxes on the right hand-side, feature full developed technical details. As well as quick-links to important information such as: families, types, tactics, arms and more!
- We plan on adding more information regularly into these box, such as suggested combat style,and greatest threats.
- To the already published turbojet-thrust-charts, horsepower graphs are now available for all aircraft pre 1.55 (if not available on the vehicle page, add /horsepower_graph in the address bar). They are for now, to remain limited to horsepower vs altitude and their corresponding compressor stages.
- Please stay tuned. We have more to come soon™
The format of every aircraft page is slowly being updated. We hope these additions will help everyone in their task for air supremacy.
Please note that this information is still in the development phase and information can be incorrect due many factors. Please point out error to us as it is most likely an error on our end not in the flight model.
Similar features are currently in the works for Ground Forces, we hope to give players information that can not be easily found in game such as gear ratios and break force. We cannot announce a publishing date, as of now.
Interested in spreading your knowledge of warfare and combat tactics? Then wait no longer and log-into the War Thunder: Wikipedia with your forum account!
Our first steps walk-through can be found >>here<<. Though I am sure you won't need it ;-)
- Wiki Team
Discuss it here on the forum.
Did you know that...
- you are able to zoom into the minimap by moving your mouse cursor over the map and scrolling in? You need to assign the following settings to be able to do this: in control settings, make sure "show mouse cursor" is enabled.
- with 1800 rounds per minute the Soviet-made 7.62mm ShKAS is the fastest firing gun ingame. This is made possible thanks to a revolving feeding mechanism and additionally a push back spring and a high gas pressure for the piston.
- pressing with the cursor on the map seen while pressing "M" will signal the team to pay attention to the specific sector?
- different steel types exist for armour? Every metal has got its own modifier e.g. cast steel is only 90% as strong as rolled homogenes steel (which is the standard armour plate). All part of the damage mechanics.
- reducing the vehicles ammo load, affects the ammo storage by making them smaller and once empty disappear. Empty Ammo Racks cannot be exploded and are literally empty space.
- rockets can be shot down mid-air by gun fire?
- by binding a button to "Manual Engine Control" under the "Full Aircraft Control" tab in the controls menu, you can control the engine settings manually in RB and SB, even when using Mouse Aim controls and potentially achieve better performance.
- there is no cow level in War Thunder!
- the plane with the most weapons is the PBJ-1J with twelve offensive M2 Brownings in the nose and six Brownings in defensive turrets.
- Torpedoes can destroy bridges too, if they hit the pillars.
- further they can destroy tanks and floatplanes, if they're in the water.
- as most torpedoes travel at certain depths, they will detonate upon impact on shore. With a radius & penetration exceeding 30m and 300mm, killing tanks in the vicinity is possible for these swimming 270kg of pure Torpex explosives.
- most bombs are general-purpose_bomb (medium capacity) i.e. their pure explosive content is 50% of the bombs total wheight.
- your aiming reticle in Arcade adjusts for the slowest bullet of your guns. Thus with the P-39 only one caliber (the slower 37mm, not faster 7.7mm) will hit in turn-fights.
Click me to read more