Trivia! Did you know that...
- The LaGG-3-4 is the rarest plane and overall vehicle in the game? It was only given to developers and a handful users on special occasions.
- The BV 238 is the largest plane with a wingspan of ~60m? It is also the first with 6 engines.
- The Italian SM.79 Sparviero, SM.81 Pipistrello and Z.1007 Alcione are the only planes with a 3 engine design?
- Similarly, the Soviet MBR-2 is the only plane with a (single) off-center engine, mounted above the plane.
- The Beaufort Mk VIII with its RAAF livery counts towards Australian achievement progress making it the only non-premium plane to do so?
- The most numerous aircraft model in the game is the British Supermarine Spitfire fighter with 23 units? 20 British, 1 American, 1 Soviet and 1 Italian Spitfire!
- The most numerous bomber model is the Italian SM.79 Sparviero with 7 legacy aircraft in the German and 5 in the Italian tree resulting in a total of 12!
- The most numerous attacker goes to the Soviet Il-2 family with with 6 native variants and 1 captured in the German tree for 7 overall.
- The German Me 163 (and the Japanese Ki-200) rocket crafts have only a total of ~7 minutes of fuel capacity?
- The Corsairs' landing gear can be used as an airbrake and will not rip off until speeds of 700 km/h?
- The MK 103 HVAP belt can destroy all AI tanks and light pillboxes, but not destroyers and big pillboxes?
- The USSR never received the 37 mm armour-piercing rounds for their lend-lease P-39s? This can be seen in their respective in-game belts.
- The US .50 caliber Browning M2 and M3 machine guns can destroy light pillboxes with the ground target belt?
- The most offensive cannons on an aircraft goes to the Do 217N-2 with 8x 20mm MG 151/20. Four fixed guns were nose mounted while the other four fixed guns were mounted in the upper fuselage as "Schräge Musik" (they face forward mounted and elevated ~30° upwards to allow the attacker to fly below a target bomber aircraft and shoot into the bombers belly).
- The planes with the most weapons total are the A-26B-50, PBJ-1J and BV-238? The A-26B-50 has a total of 18 (fourteen offensive M2 Brownings in the nose and wings and four Brownings in defensive turrets), as does the PBJ-1J (12x M2 Browinings in the nose and 6 in defensive turrets) and BV-238 (16x 13mm MG 131 machine guns and two MG 151/20 cannons in defensive turrets).
- With 3000 rounds per minute, the American 20 mm M168 Vulcan gatling gun on the M163 Vulcan Air Defense System is the fastest firing weapon in the game.
- The F-82E Twin Mustang with the NAGP.1 machine gun pod has the most offensive machine guns on any aircraft in game? 14x caliber .50 Browning M3 machine guns! That's even more than the B-17 and B-29!
- Torpedoes can destroy bridges, if they hit the pillars?
- Furthermore, torpedos can destroy tanks and float-planes if they're in the water?
- As most torpedoes travel at certain depths, they will detonate upon impact on shore? With a radius and penetration exceeding 30m and 300mm, destroying tanks in the direct vicinity of their explosion is possible.
- Most bombs are considered general-purpose bombs (medium capacity) i.e. their pure explosive content is 50% of the bombs total weight?
- 48 R4M rockets from the Me 262 are enough to kill a bombing point?
- The P-47 Thunderbolt can carry 1774kg of explosives? That is more than any attacker except for the F-82E with 2x 2000lbs (1814kg).
- Rockets can be shot down mid-air by gun fire?
- Bombs and torpedoes can now collide with aircraft? In Arcade Battles, it can only be with enemies, but in Realistic and Simulator, ordnance can collide with allies and even yourself!
Controls and Mechanics:
- Your aiming reticle in Arcade adjusts for the largest gun? Thus with the P-39 only one caliber (the slower 37mm, not faster 7.7mm) will hit in turn-fights.
- You can open your cockpit canopy in mid-flight and potentially rip it off?
- By binding a button to "Manual Engine Control" under the "Full Aircraft Control" tab in the controls menu, you can control the engine settings manually in RB and SB, even when using Mouse Aim controls and potentially achieve better performance.
- The fastest aircraft and vehicle in-game is the Hunter F.1, at a top speed of 1193 km/h.
- Slowest plane is the gloriously 2 OP Po-2! Made from Stalin's mustache itself, it can defy every law of gravity and Newton!
- Shortest turn time of any aircraft is shared between the Gladiator Mk. II and the premium Tuck's Gladiator Mk II (13.1 s)
- The P-47's maximum dive speed tops that of the Yak-15?
- Most Rank IV fighters can beat early jets in turning fights?
- You can set up a "tank drive forward" command in tank-controls? It's called cruise-control and can be found in the "Realistic controls" tab. Buttons Q or E are advised.
- Manual transmission is an option available in the controls menu. You can potentially get your tank's engine to perform better by working the gears yourself!
- There is a driver's view and even binoculars? Go into controls and click on "tank controls". The key to enter it can be set up there. This is also the same way you can enable binoculars.
- Different steel types exist for armour? Every metal has its own modifier e.g. cast steel is only 90% as strong as rolled homogeneous steel (which is the standard armour plate). All part of the damage mechanics.
- Reducing the vehicle's ammo load affects the ammo storage by making the explosion chance smaller and impossible if there is no ammo in the rack?
- At a distance of more than 600m, the Panzerkampfwagen VI Tiger H1 cannot penetrate the frontal armour of the M4A3E2 Sherman Jumbo and vice versa.
- The Panzerkampfwagen VIII Maus is still the heaviest tank ever built (weighing in at an immense 188 metric tons), more than three times as much as the M1A2 Abrams!
- The M4 Sherman's petrol engine wasn't the main cause of fires? It was actually the ammunition stowed throughout the entire hull that made the Sherman more likely to "brew-up" than other tanks at the time. This was fixed with the introduction of "wet stowage".
- Exploding ammunition can damage or destroy adjacent tanks or low flying aircraft?
- A tank's explosion can harm nearby allied vehicles, air and ground?
- Did you know that when you spot a tank in binocular view you can bring your gun on it by pressing left click and then quickly change to gunner view? This way you will not lose your target.
- Also, holding the Left Ctrl key will make your turret follow where ever you point your binoculars at
- Most Soviet vehicles are less prone to fires thanks to their engines running on diesel instead of the more common gasoline used by most other forces?
- Some vehicles have the same top speed forward and in reverse? The Ferdinand, Maus and Jpz 4-5 are examples.
- Internal armor under the Maus turret is 50mm with additional armour plates with 20mm thickness?
- A tank can display up to 350 impact craters on its surface? Each linked-texture-face of a tank will store about 80-100 of these decals. A ground vehicle has about 3-5 of these linked texture faces (the armour plates on which "two sided" works for icons in customization).
- The aircraft crew skills Repair Speed and Repair Rank of the ground services also affect (non-auto) repair times for ground vehicles in the garage?
- HESH ammunition does not care about armor slopes? Just aim for a base armor that is thin enough for the HESH to blast through!
- The switch from homogeneous steel armor to composite ones used today is due to development of guided missiles with HEAT warheads?
- Missile aiming differs from arcade and realistic modes? Arcade always uses the simpler (mouse-control) SACLOS guidance system while Realistic accurately uses either the (keyboard-control) MCLOS or SACLOS depending on the tank/missile system used. See this page for more information!
- The reserve amphibious LVT(A)-1 is roughly as large as the high tier PzKpfw VIII Maus super heavy?
- The (historically) oldest ground vehicle in War Thunder is the venerable British A1E1 Independent (prototype built in 1926) whereas the newest is the French AMX-30B2 with the BRENUS modernization kit (entered service in 1995)?
- There are 21 M4 Sherman tank variants in the game?! 11 American, 1 German, 1 Soviet, 3 British, 1 Japanese, and 4 French!
- The vehicle with the worst gun depression in-game is the BM-13N "Katyusha" launcher, with a stunning +8° depression. Yes, not a negative. Though this is mitigated by an adjustable suspension.
- The Sd.Kfz. 234/2 is the fastest land vehicle in the game with a top speed of approximately 100 km/h on road in Arcade and 90 km/h on road in Realistic/Simulator. (The Sd.Kfz. 234/4 takes the technical second place, at 98 km/h in Arcade and 90 km/h in Realistic/Simulator)
- The second fastest speedster (and fastest proper Tank) in the game is the Ru 251 clocking 89 km/h (55 mph) on road in Arcade and 80 km/h (50 mph) on road in Realistic/Simulator.
- The slowest vehicle: The "Doom Turtle" itself - the T95/T28 at 12.8 km/h (8 mph).
- Second slowest is the Black Prince at 17.2 km/h (10.7 mph).
- The fastest reverse speed in game is the Jpz. 4-5.
- On Poland and Eastern Europe, small vehicles such as the M22, Panzer IV and Panzer III can drive through the gatehouses in the town?
- Parts of the bridge on C point of ground map Tunisia can be destroyed? Creative usage of it had led to entries on many Thunder Show episodes.
- You can download fan-made single player missions? Either click here for the wiki guide, or here to get to the official download centre live.warthunder.com
- On Korea, if you bomb the enemy bridge, whoever has the most objectives on the airfield side usually wins? Go for those light pillboxes or Light Tank columns!
- There is a smaller Ruhr map for Rank 1 aircraft so they don't have to travel as far as the Rank 2-4's?
- There is an event called "Fight of the Swallows"? AI B-17 with P-51D-5 and P-51D-20 NA escorts versus the Me 262A-1.
- In the Divide and Conquer single mission one of the secondary objectives require to shoot down a Ju 52 cargo plane?
- You can download new paint jobs for your plane or tank? Follow our guide here on the Wiki to learn more.
- Every vehicle can be customized with up to four decals? Right click on the plane icon and then on the brush to enter the "sticker mode" (customization). From here you can also select downloaded paint patterns and camouflages.
- You are now able to zoom into the mini-map by moving your mouse cursor over the map and scrolling in? You need to assign the following settings to be able to do this: in control settings, make sure "show mouse cursor" is enabled.
- As of update 1.73 "Vive la France", you can now create your own custom sights for tanks in War Thunder. A few tanks have their own sights installed already, such as the Fiat P40.
- Pressing with the cursor on the map seen while pressing "M" will signal the team to pay attention to the specific sector?
- Thanks to the Update 1.75 "La Résistance", The Scouting Mechanic has given Light tanks and selected vehicles from Tiers II and above the ability to mark enemy tanks for others to keep track. This make Light tanks a good companion with tanks that excels at long range sniping, especially SPGs and tank destroyers.
- You can get your own wiki profiles? Just click on your name at the top of page and edit away.
- Anyone can edit anything on the wiki? Just sign in to your game account and happy editing!
- Every edit has to be approved by a wiki moderator? And each edit has your name on it? Don't be foolish or you may just get a ban hammer!
- The longest history section on the wiki is the M551 Sheridan? It clocks at 1,953 words!